• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you deal with rush down?

LividLynx

Smash Cadet
Hi every one. I just picked up Project M a week ago. I have started to really enjoy Ike's new play style and am trying to master his new tools. When I play my friend I have the most trouble when he plays supper aggressive. He likes to play Falco a lot, and when he gets me into a vortex, I feel like I can't do much. I either run away and get poked with his lasers, or I try and fight and get so rushed down I get stuck in his space animal vortex. I try Ike's jab string but Falco is so fast he can jab or shine out of it. Any suggestions on how to deal with characters that don't give a chance to breathe?

Beorn

Smash Journeyman
I don't play Ike, but from what I have seen Ike has problems in general with pressure similar to link in CQC.

You really don't need to be using more than the first two of Ike's jabs.
Try using the first couple of Ike's jabs or just the first into things like grab or tilts. Once a space animal is grabbed he's yours for a while. That is just how it goes with space animals you have to look for the cracks in there pressure. Almost nothing falco does is guaranteed when he pressure you, so if you use the cstick in shield to buffer spot dodges or roll dodges, and you are not predictable you can get out through the small cracks in falcos close range pressure game.

All I can tell you about lasers as a link main is that you better learn how to power-shield reflect projectiles. Just one good reflect can open up falco up for ike to side-b in, but as I stated before Ike is going to have pressure problems from rushdown type characters.

Oh, and be sure to stay away from big open stages...

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
Try approaching him in differeny ways, side-b is really good
I tend to play in a different style depending on the player im facing and punish their habits, just make the right choice and never panic

metroid1117

Smash Master
Hi every one. I just picked up Project M a week ago. I have started to really enjoy Ike's new play style and am trying to master his new tools. When I play my friend I have the most trouble when he plays supper aggressive. He likes to play Falco a lot, and when he gets me into a vortex, I feel like I can't do much. I either run away and get poked with his lasers, or I try and fight and get so rushed down I get stuck in his space animal vortex. I try Ike's jab string but Falco is so fast he can jab or shine out of it. Any suggestions on how to deal with characters that don't give a chance to breathe?

Falco in particular is a difficult character to deal with because of his laser and shield pressure game; outside of powershielding all of his lasers back at him, there's little you can do besides honing wavedash OoS or just jumping away to get yourself out of trouble and out-space sloppy DAirs. To deal with pressure, one of the more successful ways I've found is to apply pressure be getting in too close for them to fire projectiles but far enough to bait approaches. Against Lucario for example, you want to stay close enough to punish any Aura Spheres but just far away enough to avoid dash attack. If you're close enough to go in with QD attack or an aerial like FAir or NAir, be careful at low %s because the opponent can usually crouch-cancel and hit you back (this is especially true for NAir). The same is true for jab, which is unfortunate because Ike's grabs are great at low % and jab -> grab is a fairly reliable way to get them off when the opponent isn't crouch-canceling. I'll have some videos of me playing against Hylian's Lucario up sometime this week, if you still want tips then I can link them when I get them uploaded.

LividLynx

Smash Cadet
Falco in particular is a difficult character to deal with because of his laser and shield pressure game; outside of powershielding all of his lasers back at him, there's little you can do besides honing wavedash OoS or just jumping away to get yourself out of trouble and out-space sloppy DAirs. To deal with pressure, one of the more successful ways I've found is to apply pressure be getting in too close for them to fire projectiles but far enough to bait approaches. Against Lucario for example, you want to stay close enough to punish any Aura Spheres but just far away enough to avoid dash attack. If you're close enough to go in with QD attack or an aerial like FAir or NAir, be careful at low %s because the opponent can usually crouch-cancel and hit you back (this is especially true for NAir). The same is true for jab, which is unfortunate because Ike's grabs are great at low % and jab -> grab is a fairly reliable way to get them off when the opponent isn't crouch-canceling. I'll have some videos of me playing against Hylian's Lucario up sometime this week, if you still want tips then I can link them when I get them uploaded.
Videos would be awesome. Thank you for the response.

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Stuff you can do to deal with lasers:

Most importantly, get down wavedash OOS. Make sure you do it cleanly and quickly, this allows you to use Ike's strong ground movement to weave between Falco's laser game. Falco's ground movement is subpar, so it's something he struggles with if you can get the upper hand and push him to a corner where he can only shoot close range lasers. Retreat wd oos -> whiff punish is great if a Falco goes in after a laser and does something unsafe.

Learn to powershield consistently (it's a lot easier if you map it to a non-analog button like X/Y but can be done fine with the triggers), it doesn't stop Falco's laser game entirely but it makes him respect your options more at mid-close range and can alleviate some pressure from long range. You don't always have to go for PS laser -> grab/combo, sometimes all you can do is PS laser -> get better positioning, and that's fine.

Falco's lasers have start-up, bear in mind that you can hit him before he even shoots if he shoots point blank.

Most important thing to keep in mind imo: Don't get hit by lasers and panic, keep your cool. A lot of people will start jumping when Falco pressures with lasers, most of Ike's aerial options are slow/easy to stuff out so jumping when Falco does this will put you in a bad position. Also keep in mind that laser -> approach isn't a true combo and you can stuff out bad approaches with ground moves, so if a Falco is approaching recklessly after lasers you can combat that.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Ike still has uthrow cg>fsmash right? Or is that ridiculously DIable?
I think UThrow -> FSmash would only work without DI. I vaguely remember testing it out and having it work back in 2.1, but I'm not sure if it would still work in 2.6 since the UThrow is slightly different.

Top Bottom