• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how do you deal with Ness

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101
I usually start off by throwing Shadow Balls at him, because he can't recover any damage at 0%. More intelligent Ness players will usually reflect them with Ness's F-Smash, though, so that's not always very effective. Also, try to stay alert and reflect PK Fire. That helps with the matchup a lot. Um, I don't really know what else to say. Just stick to the defensive, shield aerials and dash attacks, and punish hard. That's really all there is to it. It's a difficult matchup, for sure, but it's not unwinnable.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
To quote Isai "don't get hit" other then that, don't get grabbed. EVER...
(I hate this MU...)

Duplighost

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-5360-8490
If we're talking about a typical "PK-Fire! PK-Fire! PK-Fire! PK-Fire!" type Ness on For Glory, the best thing to do is use Mewtwo's Confusion to reflect his PK-Fire. Trust me when I say the Ness will most likely not see that coming the first time, and that will give you an opportunity to grab or punish. Watch the patterns in their battle style, and stay on the defensive side. Sometimes it's best to avoid the Ness completely, and remember how they react to your rolls and dodges. From there, you can make further predictions about what they will do when you play defensive. Watch out for Shadow Ball, as a Ness can absorb it and regain health. This one is risky, but when Ness jumps up after being hit off the ledge, it's easy to predict when he is going to use PK-Thunder and recover. If you happen to predict when Ness is going to use PK-Thunder, that's your cue to jump in and: 1) Use Confusion on the thunderbolt and make it go the other way, often leaving Ness confused and unable to use his recovery. 2) Jump right into the thunderbolt and let it hit you. Ness will then go be unable to move (is it called freefalling?) and will end up SDing.

I hate to stereotype all Nesses on FG, though... when battling a more technical and intelligent Ness, be sure to always stay safe. Space yourself properly, and make sure you watch out for his F-Smash. It could potentially KO you at very low percents if you are by the ledge. Smarter Nesses will use their PK-Fire at unpredictable moments, so expect the unexpected. I believe his aerials are quicker than Mewtwo's are, so be sure to bait the opponent to possible get in a strong F-Air. Ness is a really strong opponent, and I still have issues against him. Don't let him grab you at high percentages! Mewtwo is pretty light, so you could be KO'd at around 90% from Ness's back-throw.

Last edited:

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Against really good ness I would focus on a charge shadowball (like u-turn quoted) trying using that at the start.
When he's around a high percent start timing your shadowball so it would be harder for your opponent to recover health.
For pk thunder just air dodge and punish and for pk fire reflect or "don't get hit" (Isai

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
I actually quite like the Ness MU. Spank him with your tail. Keep your FCSB in hand to make him paranoid, and punish all instances of paranoia.

Every now and again when he charges his bat like a paranoid fool, release the SB and give him some immediate Confusion when he hits it back. Hilarious as long as you aren't far enough away for him to get the absorption in time.

Also, yeah. Dont get grabbed.

BlastLine99

Smash Cadet
NNID
Megatronus
Keep grabing him and f throw and b throw. Tilts work if you time them right. Fake them into using something like Ness down-b, and then grab or use disable. Confusion is not reliable. U smash when he tries to get fancy. An remember to never stand still. Always keep moving. Mewtwo is a defensive character, and at times that means just straight up running away.

When in doubt, lame it out.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Run a little bit and catch him with a up smash when he jumps. Lucas is harder to deal with if you ask me.

Top Bottom