• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you cancel out of sonic's Down air?

JJBro1

Smash Journeyman
Every time i use it and go off the stage there's no coming back and i die, how do you stop it?

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord

What, am I not a reliable source Dragon? :p

Yes, as long as you have a jump you can cancel your dair. However, the dair has a certain length it must travel, so short hopping it or even normal jumping with it and canceling are out of the question.

Still, I've managed to edge guard with this quite effectively against characters that like to come in from below the platform by dair-ing->jump-canceling->springing back to stage.

Mecha Soul

Smash Apprentice
You can do a normal jump off of battlefield for example and dair and have time to cancel it before you SD (although you come really close)

That's about the length it needs to go

Would probably be good for edgeguarding.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Actually, you can even throw in a fair (although I don't know why you would) and then dair and still have enough recovery power to make it back to the stage. It's just something to make recovery that much harder for your enemies. Although, as I understand it, it doesn't spike so you will often have better options.

It looks bad *** as hell though.

rushdown

Smash Rookie
I wouldn't say it's necessarily canceling. Sonic's dair is not infinitely long. If you want to see how long it is (hah), just make a vertical custom stage. Jump off a ledge and do it. Eventually the animation will stop and he'll go back to free falling. Contrast this with ZSS. Zero Suit is actually the same principle, but the length of the dair is so long it's not practical in anything besides a custom vertical stage.

With Sonic however, you're traveling a pretty short, practical distance. You're not really canceling out of anything. You're just completing the move and ending up in the free fall position.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
rushdown, not really. The attack can still hurt people and I can jump out of it so I wouldn't say it's "free fall." If it was, logically the attack should stop first and only then would jumping would be possible.

rushdown

Smash Rookie
Sorry, I'm not sure of the exact terminology you guys use. I just meant falling in terms of not being inside the move's animations, and being able to attack and dodge. I guess you say free fall to denote when no moves are possible?

Spin Dashie

Smash Cadet
You honestly dont have to jump to cancel it out. Ive found that if you just use your spring jump on the ground and use your dair, there will still be no lag when you land. The key is using the dair at the peak of Sonic's spring jump. Otherwise, yeah use your jump and dair and you wont have to worry about timing the peak to have no lag when you land.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
rushdown, I think we both mean the same thing when we say "free fall." My point was just that you don't have to be free-falling to jump out of your dair. In other words, while still in "attack" mode where you can't move or do another attack, you can jump. If you tried to use an aerial attack or something, you would have to wait for the free fall animation to start, which requires twice the distance of downward travel that jump canceling does.

Spin Dashie, obviously if you're above the ground there's no need to jump cancel the dair as you're in no danger of dying. But if you do it over the edge you need to jump cancel otherwise you plummet to your death.

Top Bottom