• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you/Can you DI out of this guy's throw combos?

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
So I'm not a Diddy main I just want to know how to get out of his ridiculous down throw BS. From what I've seen it's not possible to DI in such a way that Diddy doesn't get a guaranteed followup from any down throw. The only time you escape is if the Diddy player messes up an incredibly easy follow up. AKA not going to happen at a competitive level and definitely not something someone can count on.

Is there something I'm missing here? I've tried several ways to escape but I always get snagged by the good players no matter what. And with those banana's/shield pressure and really low uair kill percents, and all Diddy's other great tools, there's no room for error in this matchup regardless of who you're playing.

Last edited:

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
If you can't find yourself DI'ing out entirely, you can DI up and towards Diddy at mid percents so he's required to use Uair to follow up/miss (most will go for Fair/Bair to keep Uair fresh). This will cause him to stale it, and at higher percentages DI up and away (don't be afraid to mix it up with up+towards) so he whiffs or hits a stale uair.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
you can't DI to avoid, you can DI to minimize % taken though
That's what I assumed. You can't DI to save yourself at kill percent in the same fashion I assume? That makes the matchup a little too volatile if I'm being honest but it is what it is.

Scr7

Smash Cadet
NNID
Scr7ven
At certain percents I think that one fair/bair/up air is guaranteed (any of these aerials depending on your DI), but you can usually DI to get away from any followups after that. If he dthrows you at a high percent and you think the up air can kill, DI away so his only option is to use a fair or bair instead.

Legit

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1075-1516-8692
At higher percents it's actually pretty easy to get out. Just DI up and away from Diddy (the same direction he throws you, the direction his back is facing) and he can't get a GUARANTEED followup.

Blitzern

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Blitzern
Can you tech his down throw? Does it make a difference? Combined with DI?

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Eventually you can DI away from UpAir after D-Throw and force Diddy to use one of his longer, less potent aerials. Low % you can at least avoid double UpAir I think, but you're probably going to take one head on.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
Yeah, I was a cfal main up until today when i got wrecked so hard by a diddy that I just decided since I'm going to apex in 2 months, it's pretty much a waste of my time to play anything besides diddy.

Radius-86

Smash Ace
If you DI forward when Diddy uses his down throw (i.e. towards Diddy), the uair won't reach. You need to keep holding the direction after you're thrown to keep your distance until you're completely safe. Diddy's fair and bair can still reach you but they are fairly weak so if those still managed to hit you you'll be fine. You'll need your Melee reflexes again so you can DI before you're thrown.

In reality even with the DI it can still be a true combo, but it is extremely difficult to perform it on 1x, but easy on 1/4x.

Last edited:
Top Bottom