• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you approach?

zack152

Smash Journeyman
I just recently started playing as Young Link and I have a lot of trouble approaching characters like fox. So I ask, how do you approach?

rhan

Smash Hero
Young Link needs his projectiles to approach. Mainly Bombs and Bomberang. Use the bomberang to predict where you're opponet will try to go next. Bombs will come in hand in many ways. They come handy for distractions. Ex: SH throw bomb. Fox shines bomb. Young Link comes in for a dash attack. And bombs come in as a great recovery tool. Ex: If you have a bomb in your hand while being knocked off you're chances of getting back become better. etc.

To make it short use your projectiles wisely and not spammy. Then when able come in with a strong hit. Dash attach, Dsmash, Nair. Those are Young Link's main kill moves. Dair is good but it becomes very predictable if you use it too much. Some combos lead into the dair as a finisher. Test the waters and read the "Having trouble getting that kill?" guide made by Lajin. It has matchup guides and gives info about Young Link.

zack152

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the advice, Ill definently give it a try.

I know I was playing around with his approach today and was using his bow to approach, it was pretty funny.

Full hop+b, to dj+b, to wavelanding/shield. I did the wavelanding more, but I switched it up depending if I had a bomb or not, whenever I had a bomb I would go shield throw it. It was actually working kind of well =S

Thatd be cool if I was the first to try it =0
If I am Im so naming it >.>

rhan

Smash Hero
Lol

Bomb throw out of shield already has been known. there's a thread that's stickied here that explains some useful bomb stuff. Read that when you have the chance.

rhan

Smash Hero
Ah I see. I don't think anyone really has thought about doing that. I personally haven't. It sounds like it could be put into some use. But it seems to me a little situational in battle.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Approach with Bomb always. If they shield, learn how to catch the bomb off of sheild bounce and throw it back. If they get close to you while you have a bomb in your hand, jump away while Z-dropping it. If not, try a n-air if they are close.
Its good stuff.

rhan

Smash Hero
Nair is good against most characters on stage and off. Especially Falcon. The Nair can cancel out the knee or trade hits with the knee. Ganon isn't supposed to be approched by a Young Lnk anyway. Its best if you projectile wall him until he gets close then try for a kill if he at a decent amount of damage.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Nair is good against most characters on stage and off. Especially Falcon. The Nair can cancel out the knee or trade hits with the knee. Ganon isn't supposed to be approched by a Young Lnk anyway. Its best if you projectile wall him until he gets close then try for a kill if he at a decent amount of damage.
N-air is only good if Falcon is in your face. If he is not, don't attempt to beat his knee with your n-air. It will either complete beat it or you will collide hits.
Knee > n-air.

rhan

Smash Hero
Coliding hits is better then just getting knee'd across the face. At least that way the Falcon has to take time to get back up. On the other hand if you're in high percents, trading hits isn't the best thing to do. That's the only thing I can see to use to counter the knee. And Utilt but my timing with Utilt is way off.

I just spam Nair against any Falcon. It helps me win. Eh. People are different.

Laijin

Smash Hero
Coliding hits is better then just getting knee'd across the face. At least that way the Falcon has to take time to get back up. On the other hand if you're in high percents, trading hits isn't the best thing to do. That's the only thing I can see to use to counter the knee. And Utilt but my timing with Utilt is way off.

I just spam Nair against any Falcon. It helps me win. Eh. People are different.
Colliding hits against a knee is horrible in most situations since that leaves you at a heavy disadvantage. Your better off shielding the knee, then n-airing out of the shield for a gaurenteed hit. Or even running a way to throw more projectiles. Spamming up-smash when your close works really well too since most people don't play against Y. Link and think they have to shield it, but be careful because u-smash really does not have any priority. But it still works against most people. I even broke a shield off a falcon at a couple of tournaments ago(Best falcon in FL) using u-smash. Pure mind games. lol

rhan

Smash Hero
Zjinn owns. xD

I don't use arrows really. For some reason my aim with projectiles is so stupid where I can shoot an arrow trying to recover and it aims at the edge 95% of the time. It helps if I'm trying not to get edgehogged. :/

/braging

Young Link's arrows <3

Top Bottom