• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you approach with diddy?

kendrick

Smash Rookie
Since diddy's range and priority aren't very good, how do you guys initiate your attacks? The best way I've found is using bananas or grabbing. Other than that I will wait for a whiff. Also, what moves do you find to be your best combo starters?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Bananas? lol

The dash attack also seems solid, cause it's a easy setup for Fair or Bair. I've only played Brawl once like half an hour so I don't know his grabs very well yet but yeah... Bananas are the best way to approach for Diddy.

Doctor T

Smash Journeyman
Bananas make a good approach, if you have an opportunity to use one, and your opponent can't (or doesn't think about) reflecting them back at you. But if you use bananas to approach too much, your opponents will start to pick up on it, and start figuring out how to turn them against you.

Diddy is honestly not a very good character to charge in and attack with. He is a heavy mind-games character. As you mentioned his priority isn't that great, and he isn't that powerful, so you should be more cautious about your approach. There are quite a lot of things you can use those bananas for, one of which is tricking your opponent to approach you, and having them end up on a banana (whether they slip or you throw one).

Diddy's aerials are quite good, but they won't work too well most of the time if your opponent is expecting them. Try to mix things up... Diddy isn't the kind of character where you can spam 2 or 3 moves and win.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Bananas.
Dash attack into Dsmash, i use a lot. but it gets predictable. but if they shield the dash attack, they generally want to attack you or grab you after that, and your dsmash comes out before they can

SHDB (shorthop double b-air)

just space well and be patient. diddy is all mindgames and capitalizing on mistakes

K.G.

Smash Apprentice
jus use the kg combo. dash to to up smash . its a good combo starter and if u use it right the end of the dash attack will stun him in perfect range of the up smash. it has no lag at all. if u really want to get nasty wit it after throwing the banana towards the opponent u can dash and pick up the banana at the same time and jus continue from there

ThePurpleCobra

Smash Apprentice
1. throw banana chase with an up smash or a dash grab

2. shorthop double b-air(my fav)

3. peanut then chase with an upsmash or dash grab

4. face away from them then sideb at them. i swear it works all the time

dont dont dont run in with a dash grab if u didnt throw a banana or shoot peanut.

dont dont dont approach from above b/c any good player is just going to upsmash u and i really cant think of any char that doesnt have a better up smash than diddys down air

drSuper

Smash Apprentice
I like to vary dash attack, aerial attack, side B with a kick. Using his over B on a shorter opponent sometimes isnt that great because you can go right over them without hitting them. I have yet to fully implement the nanner toss.
Also as purplecobra stated his dair has very low priority and being above any character at all should not be strongly advised.

Edit - more often than not, waiting to see what your opponent does can be the best approach :)

Curse marke Sasuke

Smash Rookie
My typical approaching methods are

- use the previously mentioned dash to up-smash to air of choice
- bait opponent into an attack with bananas or pop-gun for a grab/combo
- never using one approaching method to often
- short-hop bairs to down-smash

wa-kingdom

Smash Cadet
just stand there and wait for you opponent to face your jugdement, that what i do...or rolling and bannanas, either works

dak0tah

Smash Cadet
nanners are the approach of kings

ive been playing diddy since, well, last week, and i always kinda used the bananas, but today, just to try it out, i pretty much based my entire game around around them, and kicked major ***. it was especially good against metaknight cuz his ****in sword just keeps swinging, like, the whole battle, so slipping or taking a yellow piece of fruit to the face stunned him just long enough to land my attack of choice

Trozz

Smash Ace
Bananas are lethal.
If you can get in to a pattern of throwing bananas and roll attacks, you can really slap your opponent around.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Typically I use:

- Monkey Flip kick

-Bannanas,

-Short hop to f-air.

RockBarrelBlast

Smash Rookie
I usually use bananas.

Also, you could make them approach you - charge up your popgun, they try to charge you, then cancel and grab, etc.

Mackaveli

Smash Rookie
i just simply use the dash attack and mix it up from there

th popgun is also fun, and concerning the bananas i like to keep one banana always on the ground and approach with the other

thenewcomer08

Smash Rookie
diddy kong is a beast no matter how weak he is. gotta kno how to use all his moves to b good tho.
i usually start of with the bananas n since u can pik them up usin ur dash attack i like to throw it n trip em up then dash attack n while hittin him i also pik up a banana n from thier i like to just go nuts with aerial attacks n throws. his smash attacks arent very good

Robiin

Smash Cadet
I love the range you get with the Side-B kick. Throw bananas behind your opponent, Side-B kick, they almost only has one option, to roll backward. Whick will make them trip on the banana.
Trip, and get attacked, or getting hit by the Side-B kick?

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
Approach...hmm. Only use a SHFair if you know how to correctly space it, because it is really easy to shield grab it if you keep flying into the person. That goes the same for his Kung Fu kick. You cant even space that one, so only use it as an attack when you are absolutely sure that you are going to hit the person, or latch on (for when you latch, look at Diddy Hump thread). Dash attack is also quite easy if the person is just standing there waiting for you, so you can dash attack to make yourself stop before you get to them, then immediately ftilt or dsmash when they try to go for a shield grab (but they're out of range for it if you stopped correctly). You could also try running at them, then rolling when you get in front of them to get behind them for a suprise attack, but that one wont work very much.

And as usual, if your opponent doesnt want to pick up bananas, just toss those all day

Whiteday

Smash Rookie
I love the range you get with the Side-B kick. Throw bananas behind your opponent, Side-B kick, they almost only has one option, to roll backward. Whick will make them trip on the banana.
Trip, and get attacked, or getting hit by the Side-B kick?
...roll behind your monkey flip ? (I think thats what Side-B is called)

alexchia

Smash Rookie
Without a doubt bananas are a must in every DDK player. Keep in mind that is Forward B/Kick is pretty useful to trick your opponent, And spam peanuts *Think of it as spamming bacon with G&W". When Opponent is at high percentages just Fair em.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Approaching is all situational. Play more to understand what approach you have to make in which situation.

themagicnickel

Smash Rookie
if you r diddy kong u definatey want to use bananas. then when they slip, you can basically chose whatever attack you want, as long as its quick. Also, try to throw in a variety of combos in- dont always use the same one.

Da N

Smash Journeyman
The vacinity of the planet Earth. (California)
It depends on who im going up against.

If im going uo against a slow, heavy person, say Ike, then i dash to up-smash. If im going up against someone with a slow and or bad u-air, then i approach with a short hopped d-air (a lot different i know). Or ill just throw a banana when i don't really wanna work.

pyrblaze

Smash Rookie
I usually end up performing a dash+up smash, of course every character can do this, but starting a match with Diddy, definitely starting out on the right foot.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
glide toss the naners, cartwheel in during the hitstun, SH-Bair. the SH-bair after the cartwheel works better than the Usmash at high% and against lightweights.

Top Bottom