• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you approach a defensive player?

Yallo42

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying Rob and it seems like he has a very strong defence because of gyro, laser, and tilts, but I can't approach. I mostly try to use side B cancel fair, but they usually punish that. I'm new to Rob so any tips are useful.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
They are waiting for you to side-b fair because you are being predictable about where you space it. If they are shield it into a grab, jab them after, if that doesn't work your timing isn't good. If they are making you whiff then dashing in for a grab, aim to overshoot them and it'll work more often.

Grim!

Smash Cadet
there are other things you can do just run toward someone and then roll back and if they attack grab them.You can also jump forward with fair and use you second jump if they shield when they shield your fair go jump backwards.And try again
you will wear them down

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
You can also jump forward with fair and use you second jump if they shield when they shield your fair go jump backwards.And try again
you will wear them down
This doesn't work well with ROB at all, his fall speed is too slow and his second jump is too high
ROB has an equivalent which would just be jumping in front of them, then mixing up between boost in fair, DJ boost in fair, FF grab (aka a tomahawk) or empty boost in->land->grab. There are more options, that's just a few.

Keep in mind tho, you don't actually have to approach a defensive player. If they are giving you too much space, get out a gyro and put it in your hand. ROB has a lot of approaching power/approach encouraging power with his glide tossing ability.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
someone correct me if im wrong but id go as far as to say that most defense oriented/projectile oriented characters (i.e. samus, ivysaur, toon link, bowser) cant outcamp rob due to how his laser and gyro work in neutral so you could also decide to just keep lasering and them and shielding or avoiding their projectiles and holding on to a gyro just in case they approach you by surprise. Once they give up on trying to camp you out it might be easier to find ways to meet them at close range with robs aerials and tilts without being punished since youre looking for them to commit to a predictable option rather then the other way around. but that is by no means an exhaustive strategy against campy characters/players so dont get too comfortable with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom