• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do i play against falco?

MiloniVanili

Smash Apprentice
i understand that the gist of it is to get him off the stage and edgeguard him but i dont understand what to do when lasers are stuffing all my approaches and he is dair/nair shining my shield, how do i punish/prevent that from happening?

Fortress

Smash Master
Get him off-stage > win the match

But, really, just get good at powershielding. With practice it's not too hard. One of my house regulars is a Falco main, so I was pretty much forced to learn the skill. Lasers become less of a problem with it under your belt. If Falco is trying to camp you with lasers, outcamp him. He wants you to come to him since his movement options on-the-whole are pretty ****ty. If you're Kirby, you've got the ability to outmaneuver and outcamp Falco if he chooses to lasercamp. Just play cheese and jump around doing a ton of nothing. He'll focus all his efforts on trying to get a hit in on you, making risky jump-ins and rushes, but you'll be able to capitalize on it. It's boring as all Hell to watch and play, but it works. If you're having trouble going head-to-head with Falco, play it the H-box way: get a stock up, and avoid Falco as much as humanly possible. Run down that timer if you absolutely have to.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Mix up ducks and jumps when Falco shoots a laser to keep him guessing. SDI the shines so it makes it harder for Falco to follow up. Utilt a lot, use other tilts too but utilt is the best. Grab him and tech chase, get good at tech chasing Falco. Since he is a fastfaller, Rock > Hammer will kill him like at 75. You can also utilt hammer him at like the same %. Dont approach with DA or CD too much you'll just get wrecked. Other than that, get him off stage, dtilt the phantasm, if he jumps react to it and knock him back with a reverse uair. If he uses Firebird he's dead. Just learn all the tricks Kirby can do to fastfallers. Also remember, Kirby can copy his lasers and SHDL. Yes inhale is useful and yes Kirbyciding is fun, but do you want to win lol. Mix it up by edgecancelling the taunt to get rid of lasers.

Last edited:

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
If you have a choice don't try and recover from below the edge... Falco's Dair owns...

Thor

Smash Champion
Now, I haven't messed around with PM Kirby much, but I know for a fact Melee Kirby could short-hop double laser with Falco's lasers - you should try inhaling Falco in a practice and see if you can SHDL because I'm nearly positive being able to SHDL will screw up a Falco's SHL a LOT.

If he sits in shine to reflect them, ducking (or just adjusting your jumping pattern to jump over and fall under lasers) allows you to avoid reflected lasers, and you can keep lasering too, which probably moves Falco out of his comfort zone, always a good place to put an opponent.

As to actually approaching to suck him up/get him offstage, other people are better suited for that, but I'll mention the SHDL now just so you can practice/check it out - it's probably worth knowing, since Falco's not exactly uncommon.

Last edited:

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Yeah like thor and I said, SHDL is pretty good in this matchup. More so than you would think cuz Chu screws with a lot of our brains on how to actually play this chracter.

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
Wouldn't taking his lasers only work if both parties were to invest their efforts in a camp war or keep-away-game? What if that Falco always close enough to capitalize on his laser's hitstun while outspacing your tilts and dash attack (or nullifying dash attack with lasers)?

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Its an art to using it, if hes always near you dont laser. When you copy someone that doesnt mean you have to use it. When he does that punish his options. Try to get into a situation where you can laser, but dont be too obvious about it.

Last edited:

pinkdeaf1

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0387-9018-0614
Its an art to using it, if hes always near you dont laser. When you copy someone that doesnt mean you have to use it. When he does that punish his options.
so holding onto inhale might not pay off in the long run? What I mean to ask is whether it is better to have falco's lasers in hand or just hold on to inhale for the match. Should I try to absorb falco's lasers when inhale can afford me the prize of repositioning both players however I want?

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
so holding onto inhale might not pay off in the long run? What I mean to ask is whether it is better to have falco's lasers in hand or just hold on to inhale for the match. Should I try to absorb falco's lasers when inhale can afford me the prize of repositioning both players however I want?
Its literally a 50-50, do whatever, mix it up between stocks. Lasers and Inhale help you out evenly in the matchup. Grabs can still help you with re-positioning.

Last edited:

SSS

Smash Ace
Dthrow techchase all day, son. Just make sure to watch out for neutral tech shine (the best thing to do is WD back after dthrow). I prefer lasers in this matchup to inhale. But that's probably just because I main Falco in Melee so I know how to use them. If you know how to use lasers and have had practice with it and you are comfortable using them, use lasers. If not, use inhale.

@ Phan7om Phan7om where in NorCal?

Last edited:
Top Bottom