• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I counter SHFFL spammers?

Boolossus

Smash Ace
I have a friend who SHFLLs all day (especially with Falcon) and he's really starting to become a pain. When I use Sheik, it's no problem, because I can shield grab him each time he does it. But I can't shield grab him with Samus because of her grapple beam, and when I try to, I miss and he punishes me big time for it. Any advice on how to break through those SHFFLs?

Hostility

Smash Ace
You can do a number of things, Crouch cancel downsmash works best, but if you are at higher damages when you can't crouch cancel, try a wavedash back F Smash, or do retreating bombs to interrupt their attacks.

Or, if you are in your sheild, then do an out of sheild B + up

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
UpB and nair out of sheild are hot. CCC Dsmash is also hot. Samus punsihes SHHFLers most severely.

Boolossus

Smash Ace
Okay, thanks all. Crouch cancelling and screw attack from the shield seem to be the most popular methods, I'll give those a try. I'll also try the bombs & wavedash back to F smash (I already do that one sometimes anyways).

REDRAGON

Smash Ace
If the Falcon is really SHFFL then how can you shield grab him???
If he is doing it right then he should easily be able to dodge or jab at you before you can grab him as Sheik......

Kick

Smash Apprentice
F-tilt up or just F-tilt?
either, but f tilt up works best.

you guys are forgetting the most basic attack, dash attack. Its devastating to SHFFLers, it comes out fast, high priority and Samus' is one of the better dash attacks in the game.

If Samus dash attack can cancel all shiek air attacks, i think falcon shouldnt be a problem.

Paradigm

Smash Ace
St. Brutus's Secure Center for Incurably Criminal
Falcon's horizontal leap is too great for this tactic. Stick to CC'ing a Dsmash or upB outta shield.
I disagree, its quite possible. Depending on the distance you may be able to do it in one (~perfect) wavedash, or you may need two wavedashes.

Another thing you can try to get around SHFFLing Falcon is to shield-wavedash toward him, and as he inevitably passes you, fsmash behind you at him. This is a large part of my game against Falcons and fair-spamming Sheik's. Works really well if you can get it down, but the window on it is tight.

Mars-

Smash Champion
either, but f tilt up works best.

you guys are forgetting the most basic attack, dash attack. Its devastating to SHFFLers, it comes out fast, high priority and Samus' is one of the better dash attacks in the game.

If Samus dash attack can cancel all shiek air attacks, i think falcon shouldnt be a problem.
Agreed

Unitl they catch on and sheild grab your running attack the crap outta you........

Best to just stick with spaced f tilts.
This is vs SHFFL, not shield grabbing.

samusedaway

Smash Journeyman
What's the point of suggesting something to counter only SHFFLing? Yes that is what advice was asked, but you have to take into account that a Capt. Falcon player isn't going to just SHFFL the whole time, yes they do it frequently, but if they see you start dash attacking a lot they'll stop and sheild grab you. Thus the reason why using a tilt is better because you can space it far enough away not to get grabbed or punished for that matter. Putting dash attack in the mix of things to do to stop SHFFLing is fine as long as you don't do it excessively ending in the scenario mentioned before.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
That was kinda what the thread was asking though (note the title). You do have a point though. However in theory every move has another counter move to it so your point on "whats the use in suggesting a move that only counters SHFFLing" becomes invalid. I do agree however that i would stay away from dash attacking as there are other methods, but adding it in every once in a while mixes things up and makes you less predictable. Therefor it is a good idea to add dash attacking to the mix of things you can do vs SHFFLing.

More options > less options.

Edit: nvm im ******** and didnt read your last sentance.

Kick

Smash Apprentice
What's the point of suggesting something to counter only SHFFLing? Yes that is what advice was asked, but you have to take into account that a Capt. Falcon player isn't going to just SHFFL the whole time, yes they do it frequently, but if they see you start dash attacking a lot they'll stop and sheild grab you. Thus the reason why using a tilt is better because you can space it far enough away not to get grabbed or punished for that matter. Putting dash attack in the mix of things to do to stop SHFFLing is fine as long as you don't do it excessively ending in the scenario mentioned before.
dude, you answered your own question. we gave taht advice because thats what was asked. Yes dash attacking gets shield grabbed, but thats not the question and if we wanted to cover every possible possibility, then the answer would be too long and not concise. Plus it would never end.

and now to play devil's advocate

if you space f-tilts, the falcon is just going to fake a shffl then come in for a grab. so you cant space f-tilts. dash attacking is better. FOR REALZ.

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
....I hate the samus forums sooo much. Its like talking to 5 year olds unless HugS comes in and posts.
Then why do you come here?

How about doing CCed Dtilts at lower percentages? Since he FFs, he won't be sent high, and can lead to combos, etc. Or, if you forsee the SHFFL Knee, you could sidestep.

lol Dash attack is Samus' SHFFL.

Top Bottom