• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I correctly use D-Smash?

Xanocide

Smash Rookie
NNID
ArclifeVeleon
3DS FC
0232-9672-4920
Been playing a lot of ZSS recently, and have not only been having a great deal of fun with her, but have been getting good results with her. My question though, is how can I optimally use D-Smash? I find myself very rarely using it if at all, and never really know what to do after it, I typically just follow up with a Side Smash. Any tips would be greatly appreciated on when I should use it and how to act off it :D

Keeseman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Keeseman
3DS FC
2251-4754-4791
Using D-smash is all about the reads. You probably shouldn't use it too often, but when you do, the ledge is a good place to set up for kills. Try to catch your opponent before they grab the ledge if they're recovering higher.

For what to do afterwards, f-smash is a good move to use if you're at kill percents, but you should mix it up more. You have a lot of options, really; you could use Up-B for a kill, go for an easy grab, start a string of uairs for a Stairway to Heaven-esque combo, etc. You have lots of options and should keep changing it up.

David Viran

Smash Lord
Frame trapping your opponent's air dodge into the ground can get you a free dsmash. In neutral space dsmash so that your opponent can't roll behind you and can't SH punish on reaction. When you land a dsmash at the ledge when they are at lower percents use flip jump to spike them. It's kind of stupid how Early that works and kills.

Last edited:

Tobi_Whatever

あんたバカァ~!?
NNID
Tobi_whatever
Frame trapping your opponent's air dodge into the ground can get you a free dsmash. In neutral space dsmash so that your opponent can't roll behind you and can't SH punish on reaction. When you land a dsmash at the ledge when they are at lower percents use flip jump to spike them. It's kind of stupid how Early that works and kills.
TWENTY PERCENT KILLS
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
Well, there's always this:

Smash 4-Ever 9 Grand Finals | Nairo (ZSS) vs LoF NAKAT (Falcon) (YouTube link)

At 3:00 - 3:05 and 4:11 - 4:15 are Nairo's D-Smash -> Up Special combos. He uses his D-Smash to punish Falcon's Raptor Boost (Side B) in the first one and uses it again to punish Falcon's F-Smash after dodging the F-Smash with a Spot Dodge.

Pay attention to how he uses D-Smash in the entire match though.

Also, 0:42 - 0:50 is Nairo's Stairway to Heaven combo. No D-Smash, but still dirty. (There's a thread about it on Reddit, actually) I suggest you watch the entire video, it's pretty short (4:28) but packed with action.

The tips given by previous posters are spot on, listen to them.

Riggen

Smash Cadet
NNID
15243BDRAE
3DS FC
1607-3148-7902
I find it best that if they grab hold of the ledge, you throw them off it by grabbing it, and they grab back, that's a whole 25-30 frames to D-Smash them, Then throw in a B-Air as well, At about 70% and the stage is slanted at the edge, That's KO!

David Viran

Smash Lord
I find it best that if they grab hold of the ledge, you throw them off it by grabbing it, and they grab back, that's a whole 25-30 frames to D-Smash them, Then throw in a B-Air as well, At about 70% and the stage is slanted at the edge, That's KO!
Only problem with that are there like 5 ways the opponent could avoid this. The simplest way would be Buffer a get up option so they don't get trumped.

Last edited:

Riggen

Smash Cadet
NNID
15243BDRAE
3DS FC
1607-3148-7902
Only problem with that are there like 5 ways the opponent. The simplest way would be Buffer a get up option so they don't get
Well, Yes but the players I have come across haven't really done that.

Wyles

Smash Cadet
Use it against aggressive rollers, faster people, and shorties ~

Top Bottom