• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how do i beat yoshi

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
So I play heavies, mainly King K Rool, and I have SUCH a hard time with Yoshi. Every Yoshi. Even the bad ones. Cause y’all like to spam the eggs and just do some...disrespectful **** that makes me cry. I’ve even tried playing Yoshi to understand him, but that didn’t help.

Please help? Like what’s something to look out for or a weakness I can exploit?

Tidycats29

Smash Cadet
NNID
supadino007
Switch FC
4953-1106-1226
if you use king k rool id suggest spamming the crown and use his super armor to your advantage u can super armor a lot of yoshis moves ive noticed i faced decent k rool and it was quite annoying from a yoshi standpoint atleast for me,

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Use a sword character.
Seriously, against yoshi, every and I do mean EVERY super heavy gets trashed by yoshi, the one with the best chance is probably DK but even he gets eaten alive by yoshi's severe speed advantage and stupidly good combo game. Best bet is probably to go chrom or roy since both of those are easily Yoshi's worst matchups, if not those two then Meta Knight works and so does Mewtwo despite not being a sword man. Don't even try to fight it just use a secondary for this character he's been this bad for them since smash 4.

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Yoshi beats the hell out of heavies, like MERPIS said. Yoshi just runs circles around them and he can always put you guys off your own offensive with eggs.

On the flip side, Yoshi hates weapon uses. He can't even clash with them. If you have a sword, your odds increase a good bit. Pocket someone that's quicker on their feet to deal with characters like Yoshi. FE characters, one of the Links (preferably Young or Toon), maybe even Palutena, honestly...but just grab a weapon.

Alsyght

Smash Journeyman
What about one of the Belmont’s? I’m awful with the Links. I’ve had my eyes on them for a minute.

JKrisom

Smash Rookie
For now, the Belmonts might do well. As the game progresses I think characters with more mobility and less lag will do better though.

Ostro

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7252-9309-8314
Try Ridley. His Nair is a decent answer for any Yoshi trying to get in. You might struggle with eggs, though.

ROB's Nair works, too.

Last edited:

Dreambeatz

Smash Rookie
When Yoshi is gonna do moves such as Neutral air, back air or foward air just shield it. It has a bit of lag when he lands which you can go for a grab. Also don't challenge Yoshi in air due to him having a good aerial game. If you want to know which characters counter Yoshi best then characters like Cloud, Meta Knight and Marth because spacing out Yoshi with most sword fighters put him at a disadvantage.

DrakeekarD

Smash Rookie
Actually, a skilled Yoshi player can adapt and over come swords. I've beat a fair few, lost to them as well. They are a good defense against a Yoshi, but if they learn your setup, they can over whelm you as well.

Learn to predict Yoshi's paths. Learn to out space his attacks, and counter as soon as you can. Parries are also a good way to beat them. I've lost to a few counter attacks, like against Palutena. Ness can be a challenge to a Yoshi, provided the player has more then spam PK Fire. Although the PK Fire trap to get batted off stage is effective if you can't break free of the fire fast enough.

Not sure how Pikachu is these days, but he used to always own me, but that was back in Smash 64. The eggs can be reflected, and never fall for the Yoshi standing near the ledge when your above 75% damage, thats a dead giveaway he is going to try and drop you off the stage. Otherwise, just do your best to out do the player playing Yoshi. Honestly, I get beat by a good amount of characters with skilled players behind them.

I hate to say it this way, but Yoshi can be a crap shoot, but even a skilled player with a heavy can beat Yoshi. I've lost to King K. Rool before, it is really hard to get in a good hit when they are on the defense. That crown is annoying as well due to it's boomerang effect. Most of K Rool's attacks can over ride Yoshi's attacks as well if timed right. Hope this helped.

Also, I write this under my own opinion, I do not speak for all Yoshi mains, just out of my own personal experience.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Actually, a skilled Yoshi player can adapt and over come swords. I've beat a fair few, lost to them as well. They are a good defense against a Yoshi, but if they learn your setup, they can over whelm you as well.

Learn to predict Yoshi's paths. Learn to out space his attacks, and counter as soon as you can. Parries are also a good way to beat them. I've lost to a few counter attacks, like against Palutena. Ness can be a challenge to a Yoshi, provided the player has more then spam PK Fire. Although the PK Fire trap to get batted off stage is effective if you can't break free of the fire fast enough.

Not sure how Pikachu is these days, but he used to always own me, but that was back in Smash 64. The eggs can be reflected, and never fall for the Yoshi standing near the ledge when your above 75% damage, thats a dead giveaway he is going to try and drop you off the stage. Otherwise, just do your best to out do the player playing Yoshi. Honestly, I get beat by a good amount of characters with skilled players behind them.

I hate to say it this way, but Yoshi can be a crap shoot, but even a skilled player with a heavy can beat Yoshi. I've lost to King K. Rool before, it is really hard to get in a good hit when they are on the defense. That crown is annoying as well due to it's boomerang effect. Most of K Rool's attacks can over ride Yoshi's attacks as well if timed right. Hope this helped.

Also, I write this under my own opinion, I do not speak for all Yoshi mains, just out of my own personal experience.
Yoshi adapting to a sword user means the sword user's messing up more than the Yoshi's doing well, if you ask me. Yoshi's got no clean way of getting around a strong disjoint, and that's kind of the problem. If he's getting around it, that's kind of on the sword user, not Yoshi. He's just not quite fast enough on the frames to outspeed them, and he's definitely doesn't have their reach.

anomaly a10

Smash Rookie
So I play heavies, mainly King K Rool, and I have SUCH a hard time with Yoshi. Every Yoshi. Even the bad ones. Cause y’all like to spam the eggs and just do some...disrespectful **** that makes me cry. I’ve even tried playing Yoshi to understand him, but that didn’t help.

Please help? Like what’s something to look out for or a weakness I can exploit?
Make sure to avoid ftilit and uptilt because his combos go for 50+ % on heavies

USAnyan

Smash Cadet
I play both characters, so I’d like to think I can offer some insight- or attempt to anyways.

-basically this is a match is a game of cat and mouse- you want to learn the Yoshi’s habits and capitalize off them. That’s what Krool does best after all.
-Yoshi is a death from above character who’ll probably be attacking from the air , basically as a result up smash/up tilt are your best friends here since they’re magnificent anti airs
-as you’ve probably learned by now nair is good for preventing aggro. Just try not to tank up air strings and just try to get away-his uair is faster than your nair, it’s disjointed enough that you might not even hit him-and it does half your armor anyways.
-side tilt through dairs unless your armor is almost done. It’s a multi hit so it won’t do much individually-yoshis online are TOTAL degenerates with this move and spam it like crazy, so yes. Encourage them to actually fight you by doing this.
-bait ground pound then run out of the way-punish with dash attack-this is basically dair 2 for online Yoshi degens(so much variety!) the stars do ~7% so it’s an easy tank.(or grab-whichever you prefer)
-try to “sandwich” him between you and your krown when he lands, you can catch him, throw offstage, easy gimp if he uses his double jump-even if doesn’t this is a super important punish moment.
-pretty sure side b armor will at least tank the egg hitbox of the egg-not sure about the explosion.
-yoshis double jump has 120 units of subtractive armor(“or something like it” apparently-for the sake of moving on its subtractive armor) if you break through it he’ll take the hit-120 kB units. HOWEVER, you can create a free gimping wall with the blundersuck because it’s so predictable-unlike fox or some of slow recovery, he can’t recover from this if this hits-regardless of tech if you hit towards stage- Or at least not enough to actually make it back.
-bad news for you: side tilt and utilt are uair sting starters, and they’re mini disjoints apparently. And will probably be a majority of his ground moves. Good news for you-this is the PERFECT range for sweetspot dtilt(Or dtilt period really). So try to spotdodge then punish with this. Similar to how G&W dsmash, it leads very well into sweetspot fsmash. Or utilt If they’re too close.

While swords do have the advantage, because they’re everywhere it’s a double edge sword(see what I did there)- more and more yoshis are slowly adapting and getting mu exp as a result. So idk I guess keep that in mind before running to your nearest lucina or nair/side b.mp3.

Also what happened OP, did you get egg confetti-ed, or pooped offstage,or something?

Top Bottom