• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do i beat spot dodging

LastGenocide

Smash Rookie
I've been playing for a while now and i recently decided to dedicate more time and effort into getting better at this game. My friend started playing this game before me and has logged WAAAY more time than me in this game and he just runs over me...i've gone over video saves and i realize all he has to do to beat my neutral game is spot dodge. He just shields when i throw a projectile and by the time i get to him with a dash attack or a grab or anything else i can think of he just spot dodges and grabs me and proceeds to combo me out

TLDR: My friends good i am bad how do i beat his spot dodging?

Narpas_sword

What do you THINK you should do?
if you KNOW when he spot dodges?

I know my friend throws rock first. should i keep throwing scissors, or should i try paper?

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Basically, he's saying if you know he's going to spot dodge, then don't go up and dash attack him. Use something like a projectile Or run up to him and Pivot Smash. Or wait for him to spot dodge, and then punish the endlag. The latter is pretty much what you want to do most of the time

Pwii

Smash Apprentice
Paper = doing nothing. Check out KDJ vs Ken at MLG vegas '07 to see a good example of the spot-dodging mind games. Also, if you're getting wrecked by spot-dodging, you're being too predictable. Instead of thinking "I'm going to make this happen," try playing reactively.

You could also try asking your friend what your patterns are, and how he knows to spot-dodge.

Narpas_sword

well. Rock would be doing nothing.
Paper is finding something thats not doing nothing. (ie rock) and also not failing (ie scissors)

Just a little thought will net your result instead of posting up.

because you're not going to make a thread each time he figures out a new thing to use, are you?

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Two options

1. Predict it and wait for the spotdodge to end (run up sheild, just wait, run past them, etc.)
2. Throw out a hitbox that lasts longer than the spotdodge

ArcDawn

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1993-8333-6433
What I like to do against spot dodges is either a crossup or downsmash. Crossups would make it hard for him to punish you and it gives you an offensive option while downsmash with a long active hitbox will most likely hit him out of the recovering frames of the spot dodge

Kati

Smash Lord
empty short hops or charged smashes (with an optional cross up) work.

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
One time I was playing this guy on Wifi. And he spotdodged twice the entire game. The first time I had gotten behind him and started pressuring his shield behind him. He spotdodged and then ran off. I put that in the back of my mind.

3 stocks later, I have 3 stocks and he has 1, and is at kill percents. I nair his shield but I do a cross up, so I do the SHFFL nair really late, and end up behind his shield. He is stuck in his shield and sits there. I ftilt1 his shield and wait. He still shields. Then I charge my forward smash He spotdodges and normally would have avoided the hit. However, since I am charging it I have 59 frames to chill and wait. I wait for the invincibility to end and release my smash. He dies.

Basically my method of beating spotdodges is waiting for the thing to come out/using a slow move to apply the instant pressure on them to do the reaction. They get punished because my slow move is slow and lasts longer than the spot dodge.

Holding up your shield and waiting for the spotdodge is safer, but I don't do it because one of my weakpoints is my OoS game. I'll just stand and wait.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
If you KNOW he's going to spot dodge, do an empty jump. An empty jump will allow you to do literally anything because you don't spend frames in landlag animation. Even L cancelled that's a lot of ****ing wasted time. Either way, he's completely vulnerable for like 15 frames at the end of the spot dodge animation. You can do literally anything you want and he can't do **** about it.

MLGF

Smash Lord
Used to have this problem with QD, I went for grabs out of it a lot.
A lot, a lot.

It's tricky to tell your fingers to not do that initially, but I just went through some motions and began using Up Smashes when people were reading my QD grabs.

Now'adays I realize that's a bad approach I try to consistently mixup and fake out, but that's where I started.

Corginado

Smash Cadet
NNID
Corginado
well. Rock would be doing nothing.
Paper is finding something thats not doing nothing. (ie rock) and also not failing (ie scissors)

Just a little thought will net your result instead of posting up.

because you're not going to make a thread each time he figures out a new thing to use, are you?
Real? Your snarky remarks literally made me so sad for him that I made an account to reply.

He's clearly new. I've been sparring with people in chat rooms hard for over two weeks now and even I embarrassingly haven't learned the best option for spot dodging. Instead of helping him, you've opted to merely ridicule him, make condescending analogies and then have the audacity to cackle again in response to his genuine plea for help with "Well, paper is doing something other than nothing. And also not failing. Stop failing and do something other than nothing! Am I cool yet folks?" Poor guy hasn't even responded since then.

I don't know you as a person, you're probably a good guy, but next time someone responds for help? Either help, or leave. Don't be a prick to someone merely trying to improve their game as we all are bruh.

Also, just in case anyone else looks up smashboards on google for spot dodging help and gets this article, here's an excellent post made by t3h Icy. Real good guy, breaks down dealing with dodge spam quite nicely~
New to the boards, dealing with dodge spam

Last edited:

Corginado

Smash Cadet
NNID
Corginado
No worries Narpas m8, it happens!
The analogy did make me chuckle and was p' funny. It just made me kinda salty/sad because I was also too scrubby to know what the paper was, rip.

Very goodguy reply of you though~

Last edited:

McSlur

Smash Journeyman
One thing I would do it turn on Debug mode and look at the frames on that character as they're dodging. It helps me figure it out.

Top Bottom