• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I avoid getting the "running throw" animation...

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
...when I attempt to do a pivot throw? I know this is probably a silly question, but I can't seem to figure this out. What I've been working on is pressing away and then immediately toward my opponent from a standing position so I would get the pivot throw animation instead of his standard (and lengthy) standing throw animation. However, when I do so, I almost always get his running throw animation instead. It's not VERY bad (since it's still quicker than his standing throw), but I'd still like to figure out how to do this correctly. Any suggestions and/or advice on the timing?

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
Say Yoshi is facing to the right. Press left on the control stick, the z button, and c-stick right all in quick succession and you'll do a pivot grab immediately. Reverse the directions if you're facing left, and that's all there is to it.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Hmm... I wasn't hitting the C stick at all. Does that help?

Edit: Yes, it does seem to. I'll have to get used to that, but it works. Thanks!)

Opfer

Smash Cadet
If you use the C-Stick, you can even do it a little quicker than if you use the analog stick only.

ducky285

Smash Journeyman
Tap forward to do an initial dash. As soon as Yoshi lands, tap the stick in the other direction and press Z at the same time. Voila, pivot grab.

If you're doing it while running, be sure to tap the stick and press Z at the same time.

Chaco

Never Logs In
I find it interesting that Sir is picking up Yoshi now. =D

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Beg pardon? I've always mained Yoshi. I just haven't learned how to pivot throw correctly until now (embarrassing as that is).

On another note, thanks again, guys!

Top Bottom