• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do beat roy

B00nes

Smash Rookie
It seems kirby RARELY stands a chance against a roy that knows what he's doing. Ground attacks will always be CC'd and Dtilted forcing kirby upwards in to a combo, while an aerial approach is laughed at egregiously with up tilts. The only way I've found to actually get anywhere near that flaming ******* is by down-b'ing, which doesn't get you very far. The best thing I've done was tempt him to use the (killing-heavy-weights-at-70 fair and balanced) forward smash and punishing with a grab but that can only get me so far as well.

How do I understand the match up against this goddamn ginger?

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
Well there is a matchup thread. But I'll tell ya Roy is one of our worst, Kirby doesnt really do well against people that can outrange him that well. Dont try to force Down-Bs when you're above them, youll only get punished, just plan to DI out of it.

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
I find side cutter into aerials (I tend to do n-air, land into jab reset and then dodge away) work really well. He isn't the fastest-- he is annoying, but if you can pull off some low combos, and then try and b-air him, it's better than going in with no plan.

Jethroo

Smash Journeyman
Last time i played a roy in a tournament he was able to combo me from 0 to 60-70%. I still won, but like marth you have to play the baiting game because one hit from them can either kill or lead into combo's.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
You have to be extra patient in neutral, but it becomes that much sweeter once you get that first hit on him. :3

Jinjo64

Smash Apprentice
Roy is one of the easiest characters to combo once you have him. While not as bad as Ike or Marth in terms of match up. My old training partner played roy and this is what you need to focus on.

Bait his attacks, Nair is important, Dtilt, Punish counters, Juggle with up air, and don't be predictable with DA!

Also don't forget uptilt haha. I'd say this is an even match up since both can combo each other to the extreme. Also Roy's recovery is so bad.

Top Bottom