• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you start playing Wii Fit Trainer?

sam☆jam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MiracleJeanacle
3DS FC
1032-1249-3789
I was just curious about the stories of players in this forum. Out of every character, why choose to main Wii Fit?

I guess I'll start out. It started in Smash 64, which was the first video game I remember playing. In 64 I -always- played as Kirby, and continued using him in Melee and Brawl because he's easy to play and his moveset stayed fairly consistent. But when Sm4sh came out with 50+ characters to choose from, I became interested in trying somebody new, someone you could only play as in Sm4sh. I gradually picked up Wii Fit Trainer, usually by starting matches with Kirby and switching over to WFT as I got more comfortable. Eventually I started leading with Wii Fit and got good results.

Ever since then I have been a huge fan of her fighting style and have made it my mission to teach people not to underestimate a lady (or gentleman) in yoga pants.

When did you guys start using WFT? :4wiifit::4wiifitm:

Fancykong

Smash Journeyman
I used to play Samus back in the old games, but freaked out when Shulk and WFT came out and decided to try them both. Right when smash 4 released, I was already starting a training regimen. That might be why WFT clicked with me (and Shulk snd my old main Samus didn't).

Surprisingly, as my physical being got stronger so too did my skill with WFT, and now I've reached the point where I can beat difficult matchups easier and people actually respect my play. Well, that and my physical training too.

So basically, I needed a training partner and Wii Fit Trainer was there for me.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
During the 3DS days, the NYC scene had allowed Customs since there were no logistical issues behind allowing them on portable systems. I messed around with a few characters, but ultimately settled on Wii Fit because I liked that she had an Akuma fireball (Weighted Header), which is always a powerful tool to have. Eventually, when Wii U came out, Customs died with it for a time, so I was wavering between a few characters (most notably Shulk and Lucario) since I wasn't sure on who I wanted to main in a no-Customs environment.

Later on, some Customs tournaments were popping up here and there, so I went ahead and messed around with Wii Fit on FG to get myself reacquainted with her. And I guess it just clicked in my head that she wasn't too shabby of a character, even without Customs. Although I did nothing to act on that fact until later, I suppose.

Finally, during a no-Customs tournament, I was playing against a Falcon really late into bracket. It was a Bo3 set that I was losing 0-1, and it became very clear to me I was going to lose if I kept trying to use my Lucario. So, having only FG experience to work with, I pulled out my Wii Fit for the first time ever in a no-Customs tourney, and surprisingly, ended up winning the set and the entire tournament, too. The rest is history~

Last edited:

Cress!

Keep your chin up!
Switch FC
2396-9345-5408
During the 3DS days, my 4 mains (it was the 3DS days, everyone had too many mains) were Shulk, Toon Link, Zelda, and Villager. One of my friends told me to pick Wii Fit Trainer after a few battles so we played a Fit ditto. (I don't remember who won oops.) He seemed fun to play as but I didn't think much of it. I did play Wii Fit a few other rare times, but not too much.

Skip over to the Wii U version's release. I narrowed my mains down to Shulk and Toon Link. I was losing terribly with both constantly, so I knew I needed to switch to a different main. I went through everyone I played as in the 3DS version, and Woo Fit Trainer seemed really fun. I decided to stick with her (I switched to female Wii Fit when I went to the Wii U version), and she became my main last March!

Also I use both male and female WFT now. For some reason, I notice myself doing worse when I play just 1 of them for too long, so I switch genders every 2 or 3 games.

Wii Twerk Trainer

Smash Ace
NNID
Wiifitgaypride69
I remember waking up after e3 was over. I checked smash news and the headlines were "The girl from Wii Fit is playable in Smash bros Wii U!". I was like "WTF!? is this for reals!?" I saw the trailer and fell in love lol The character looked so stupid, bad, and corny in Smash that I had to main her on release LOL Though, people will say "Why do you only use the Male Wii Fit and not the female?" I said I was gonna main the male, the moment I saw him confirmed as an alt for female Wii Fit. Plus, male Wii Fit is a raging homosexual who happens to love yoga. I have to main him lmao

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Funny enough, while I was immensely entertained by the idea of wii Fit Trainer in SSB4, she was by no means my first choice to play. Initially I had planned to play Kirby as I had done in Brawl, but with the newfound access to online play I quickly found that the pink puff wasn't a good fit for me. I tried a number of characters through the single player mode, trying my hand and failing at a few other interesting candidates until eventually coming to rest on Little Mac. His great frame data and speed suited me very well for 1v1 matches, and I probably would have stuck with him except for a single occurrence.

While I am by no means a great player, I was very much a big fish in a small pond when it came to the local smash community. Heck, I was one of maybe a dozen people in striking distance who even played the game. At that point, character selection was less about what fit best and more about intentionally sandbagging so I didn't drive away other players. Combined with a bit of an ego and a phrase from one friend stating "I know a guy who's really good with Wii Fit Trainer, probably even better than you" was all it took. Immediately I had the character select on Wii Fit Trainer and was starting the match, hoping to show that I was just as good.

To this day I'm not really sure what clicked. Maybe being able to camp and not always be the one trying to close in was a relaxing change of pace. Maybe I was so used to Little Mac's abysmal air game that actually having an off-stage presence was a welcome return to form from playing older versions of Smash. Maybe the sheer jankiness of Wii Fit Trainer's hitboxes making them hard for my more casual friends to figure out was a touch more satisfying than it should have been. Heck, maybe I was just cocky, or felt that people couldn't fault me for trashing on them with such an under-used and (arguably at the time) underpowered character. Whatever the case, Wii Fit just felt... right. From there on, it was Wii Fit or nothing.

Sure, I may have strayed from time to time. I Co-mained Wii Fit and Little Mac for a while, and at one point planned to drop her altogether for the faster, flashier, more viable Greninja, but in the end I've always come back to Wii Fit Trainer. She's just too much fun to play, and her scarcity online only gives her more of a draw as people aren't entirely sure how to deal with her at times.

Erimir

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3823-8583-9137
I loved how out-there the addition was. And I usually like characters with some projectiles, and WFT has two very good ones that are also fairly flexible. Mega Man was my first main and I tried out other characters for number two. For whatever reason, WFT is the one that stuck and became basically equal to my Mega Man.
Plus, male Wii Fit is a raging homosexual who happens to love yoga. I have to main him lmao
Psh, Boy Fit is beyond labels, he just does what feels good ;)

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Initially started to learn her as a joke, since noone seemed to even acknowledge her existence. Later on, decided to take her to a tournament and I actually did very well with her. Being able to camp AND thrive offstage is fantastic, and right in my comfort zone. At the moment, she's probably my most capable secondary and a comfort pick.

CalamitySB

Smash Cadet
I would like to say something elegant and deep for this, but I just wanted to beat my friends with a Yoga Instructor. Rubbing salt in there wound satisfied me for many hours.

I remember waking up after e3 was over. I checked smash news and the headlines were "The girl from Wii Fit is playable in Smash bros Wii U!". I was like "WTF!? is this for reals!?" I saw the trailer and fell in love lol The character looked so stupid, bad, and corny in Smash that I had to main her on release LOL Though, people will say "Why do you only use the Male Wii Fit and not the female?" I said I was gonna main the male, the moment I saw him confirmed as an alt for female Wii Fit. Plus, male Wii Fit is a raging homosexual who happens to love yoga. I have to main him lmao
This made me laugh way more than it should, I love this community.

Last edited:
Top Bottom