• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did that happen..?

gnosis

Smash Lord
Alright, so I got myself VoD and I'm watching Tink vs Rob$ from NYC 06. Good playing but nothing really unusual, until I see Tink's Fox tech a dthrow from Rob$'s Falco on Onett. Throughout my time spent on this board, I've been told that Fox can't tech that in NTSC, but can in Pal, so that leaves me two options...

1.) In MLG they sometimes use the PAL version? This seems unlikely, seeing as there are several big differences that can screw with match-up strats, especially the ones commonly seen in tournament play (fox vs marth, sheik vs almost anyone, etc.). But I suppose it's possible. However, this answer would also be strange considering that the throw is only teched once out of the 5 match set.

2.) There's somehow a way to tech Falco's dthrow with Fox in NTSC. Either a lot of people I've read from lied, and a lot of pros are always missing techs on just that one throw in videos, or it's a rare occurence that requires certain conditions/very precise timing/whatever. I didn't see anything about the conditions that seemed unusual; they were on the grass in between the two buildings on Onett, with no car interferring.

So, does anyone have the capability of enlightening me on this? The tech happened around 30 seconds into the Onett match in WB Round 1 Tink vs Rob$, MLG 06 NYC.

Number_09

Smash Cadet
Could you please supply a link to this movie? Otherwise I have no answer to what you talking about. It is possible they use the PAL version tho....

McDOOMHeart

Smash Cadet
My guess is that Tink was at a high enough damage or alternitively he was close to a house/wall to be able to DI from the d-throw and tech from there. I myself have been able to DI the throw and I don't own PAL version but it was usually at higher damages like above 100%

~D :p :p M out

gnosis

Smash Lord
Number_09, it's VoD, so you'd have to have a subscription; if you have one, then I already gave all the info on it and it should be readily available.

McDOOMHeart, Tink was at 96%, and definitely didn't tech off a building. It looked just like any other tech from Falco's dthrow. I'm thinking the damage was high enough though that it somehow... bounced him a bit? And allowed a tech? I dunno. Maybe he DI'd away and that somehow allowed him to tech, or maybe Fox can always tech once he reaches higher percentages? I'd play with it myself but I don't have a Cube available =/.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
So only Fox can't tech Falco's dthrow. Are there any other characters like this? Can Fox tech another Fox's dthrow? Is it a chaingrab when Falco dthrows a Fox multiple times? Cuz in one video guide it said it was, but I'm kinda skeptical. I did see 3 grabs in a row done to a Fox by a Falco in one match though.

Edit: I didn't check the date of the previous posts, when I typed this reply. Didn't realize it was that long ago...go ahead and just answer my question anyway.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
There are several options Fox can do out of the dthrow. He can DI away to avoid the dthrow to shine, and he can shine if they try to regrab. At higher percentages when Falco's like to dthrow dsmash or such you can DI away and shield as well, probably even spotdodge if you react to the throw fast enough.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
What if say, the Falco feels like doing a dtilt or dsmash at a lower percentage; what can the Fox do to save himself?

BTW, thanks for answering my last post.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
You can shine out. Could probably shield or spotdodge it as well. The reason you shine out is because most Falco's will just regrab and you can't DI far enough from the dthrow to avoid it. You may even be able to spotdodge out of the regrab if you can react fast enough.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure Jigglypuff, Game&Watch, and Pichu can't tech his down throw similarly to Fox.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Really? I didn't know that...

I think you can d.i. plus low light shield to counter dsmash and dtilt...then again, maybe you don't recover fast enough from the throw to even try :/

lolomgwtfbbq

Smash Apprentice
From what I hear I think fox has to at least be at 120% before he can tech it. Or it's just untechable altogether.

Top Bottom