• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can I suck less with ryu?

tbird99

Smash Apprentice
Recently, I started trying to use ryu because from what I've seen in tournaments he's the character the most like melee. I looked up some techniques and I learned some combos, but I can't effectively use them in games. I don't know how to set up combos and I can never get a true shoryuken outside of practice mode. I need to learn things like neutral options and kill setups, so can someone help me learn these things?

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
What specific combos are you trying and not succeeding with? Ryu has so many move sequence combinations and general options it can be overwhelming to think about, but also really exciting.

I would say to not try to do everything at once. Learn aspects of his play style in chunks. Practice using Hadoukens to control space and influence your opponents movements. There's really no reason to not be throwing them out over the course of the entire match. Make sure to mix up speed and type of Hadouken. A solid technique is using a slow Hadouken and running behind it and then reacting to what happens. Use it as a combo starter if it hits, grab or go for a shield break if the opponent shields.

If you want to be serious about Ryu, you've got to know all of his various inputs and really master the focus attack and focus attack cancel.

A really useful combo that I like a lot, especially early in a match is a short hop neutral air leading to the jab combo followed by a short hop Hadouken. Personally, I think Ryus neutral air is his most useful tool and an excellent combo starter.

Take a look through the Q&A thread at the top of the forum. There's a lot of good info in there and I know that EmblemLord had a nice list of true combos that are kill setups, mostly involving T.Srk

Last edited:

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
For one, tilt stick is mandatory on Ryu.

FIRST AND FORMOST: PRACTICE SPACING. THIS IS BY FAR THE MOST DIFFICULT PART OF PLAYING RYU CORRECTLY.

To give you a really quick tip as to how to space effectively with Ryu, again, tilt stick helps. With tilt stick, you can do auto fastfall B-airs by holding down and doing a C stick B-air at the apex of your short hop.

Just in general, get REALLY COMFORTABLE with his movement and range. The sooner you can figure out neutral, the easier everything else will come together.

U-tilt and D-tilt combos into SRK are most easily set up as ledge traps. Spam them on your opponent's ledge getup to cover options and then confirm into SRK as appropriate. Read the occasional ledgeroll, and if you find it difficult to TSRK ledge jump, just remember that spacing your B-air correctly will help you a lot in getting those crucial kills.

Ryu's combos can be devastating, but the real depth to the character is his varied and intricate neutral game. You have some of the best pokes in the game, but your movement tends to be high commitment and requires a lot of finesse to execute safely.

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd

FIRST AND FORMOST: PRACTICE SPACING. THIS IS BY FAR THE MOST DIFFICULT PART OF PLAYING RYU CORRECTLY.

To give you a really quick tip as to how to space effectively with Ryu, again, tilt stick helps. With tilt stick, you can do auto fastfall B-airs by holding down and doing a C stick B-air at the apex of your short hop.

Just in general, get REALLY COMFORTABLE with his movement and range. The sooner you can figure out neutral, the easier everything else will come together.

U-tilt and D-tilt combos into SRK are most easily set up as ledge traps. Spam them on your opponent's ledge getup to cover options and then confirm into SRK as appropriate. Read the occasional ledgeroll, and if you find it difficult to TSRK ledge jump, just remember that spacing your B-air correctly will help you a lot in getting those crucial kills.

Ryu's combos can be devastating, but the real depth to the character is his varied and intricate neutral game. You have some of the best pokes in the game, but your movement tends to be high commitment and requires a lot of finesse to execute safely.

Regarding the auto cancelled Bair using tilt stick, how is that any different than having C-stick set to smash attacks. You can still fast fall autocancel a Bair using that setup.

I don't think tilt stick is mandatory on Ryu, in fact I'd say thats simply a personal preference thing other than a couple characters such as Ike. You can't even do heavy tilts with the C-stick.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Regarding the auto cancelled Bair using tilt stick, how is that any different than having C-stick set to smash attacks. You can still fast fall autocancel a Bair using that setup.

I don't think tilt stick is mandatory on Ryu, in fact I'd say thats simply a personal preference thing other than a couple characters such as Ike. You can't even do heavy tilts with the C-stick.
It's different because tilt stick allows the fast fall to be buffered. This saves you frames of execution which is HUGE for properly spacing B-air close to the ground. There is a massive difference between holding down and doing a tilt stick aerial to automatically fastfall, and being forced to manually input the fastfall after doing a smash stick aerial.

You need tilt stick to properly space light tilts. Heavy tilts are not hard to do on command with the A button, but it's light tilt confirms that require tilt stick to dynamically space smoothly.

Last edited:

WD40

Smash Apprentice
NNID
adamwd
It's different because tilt stick allows the fast fall to be buffered. This saves you frames of execution which is HUGE for properly spacing B-air close to the ground. There is a massive difference between holding down and doing a tilt stick aerial to automatically fastfall, and being forced to manually input the fastfall after doing a smash stick aerial.

You need tilt stick to properly space light tilts. Heavy tilts are not hard to do on command with the A button, but it's light tilt confirms that require tilt stick to dynamically space smoothly.

That does sound very useful. So you just hold down on the control stick and push the C-stick back at the same time for the B-air? Does it also work for fair?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
That does sound very useful. So you just hold down on the control stick and push the C-stick back at the same time for the B-air? Does it also work for fair?
Works for everything except D-air.

tbird99

Smash Apprentice

I've been having a lot of trouble with neutral and spacing. My brother just spams grab with zss against me or uses sheik and I can't approach with any aerials and I can't figure out how to approach effectively (I'm also pretty bad at smash 4 in general tho I mainly play melee and i haven't played in a month). Also I set my c stick to tilt and I wanted to know when should I use c stick tilts. I've found that c stick dtilts and utilts into true shoryuken are easier than normal tilts and utilt infinite is easier to continue because walking is much easier. Should I use it in these situations or are regular tilts better?

Top Bottom