• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can I improve my Zero Suit Samus?

Shadowfury333

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowfury333
3DS FC
3497-0544-5961
You seem to understand the basic throw combo, and to vary it by opponent DI, which is good. Also, you seem to understand the power of Neutral-B.

The biggest problem I saw was a lack of understanding (or at least application thereof) of your special move options. You never used Up-B to kill (you had several opportunities around the middle of the video, most notably at 1:48 where you have Lucina stunned, but go for a non-fatal F-Smash instead). You only tried to use Down-B once (2:08) rather than regularly. You never used Side-B to recover. As I said, your use of Neutral-B was fine, keep that up.

Otherwise, you are dashing in too much. Neutral-B and Neutral-Air are safer ways to approach that don't leave you open for a shield grab. Do it from time to time, especially after they've done a laggy move, but not that often.

Also, while not a big deal on Omega stages, try not to use Down-Air too much. Even on Omega stages it leaves you open to punish if they shield, and on non-Omega stages (which is the majority of stages played in tournament settings, especially if you are ZSS, as she does well in the air with platforms) it's easy to kill yourself with a Down-Air.

Last edited:

CupofT

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3738-0810-2101
Some fine points by Shadowfury.

Up air after down throw is much easier to connect than f-air and can juggle with more up airs if they do not air dodge or jump out. At higher % you can attempt down throw into up B.

Try to dash attack less. You are not getting a lot of mileage from dash attacks. Play around with ZSS other moves and understand her KO moves and setups. Neutral air might be a good start IMO. Great move to understand.

And the down airs. If you want to get back to stage faster just fast fall. Against someone who knows more about the match up or the game itself they will punish hard for random down airs.

Side note: should this be in the video thread?

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
I'd follow it up with you side dodge too much. ZSS has mobility and side dodge dancing or blocking a Shield Breaker destroys that. On top of Shadowfury's analysis, I'd suggest Short Hopping when doing neutral B to auto cancel.

Shadowfury, how do you kill with SideB?

Shadowfury333

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowfury333
3DS FC
3497-0544-5961
I don't see anywhere that I said Side-B is a kill move in my post. I mean, Side-B can be used as a ledge-guard gimping move, but it's not super reliable. It's certainly not a kill move when the opponent is on the ground.

Last edited:
Top Bottom