• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can I improve my Gandondorf

Kaneki164

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thawk164
3DS FC
5127-2247-5437
Any Ganon mains can help me figure out how to do work wih Ganon? What are some good approach options with Gandondorf? I know that side b>down tilt is a reliable option but is there anything else? Is using aerials while fast falling and using short hop any good too?

Angry Guy of DE

Smash Rookie
You'll learn very quickly in For Glory that just jumping in with attacks will get you shield grabbed over and over. When people are defensive you are better off doing just empty jump into throw when they expect to have to block an attack. As far as air approach goes, short hop F-air is an unsafe option even though it has a respectable hitbox. Run > pivot > short hop B-air is a safer option has you don't have excessive recovery on it compared to F-air.

Another thing to be mindful of is that side b > follow-up is character dependent. Some characters can allow F-tilt or D-tilt afterwards but in other cases the opponent can roll or do get-up attack before it hits. In the case of those characters you can jump up and if they do wake-up attack its a free D-air and if it bounces them you have the advantage from there. If they try to press buttons coming down you can shield and grab them (be aware that sometimes they can throw something out before D-air recovers) and if they jump away you can pursue them with U-air or predict an air dodge and catch them with an F-smash or U-smash.

Overzealous aggression is predictable if you aren't mixing it up.

MezzoMe

Smash Ace
Learn to hard read your opponent every time you approach and powershield every projectile to dodge pressure. The follow-ups from a grounded flame choke vary depending on the opponent, you can tech-chase as well.

Creede

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Creede73
As a Ganondorf... DO NOT APPROACH. At least, not like any normal characters. RAR Bair is his only option for approaching (if you need to) that is generally safe, but it needs good spacing and does not hit all characters. What a Ganon main should do is bait out laggy moves and punish. Notable punishes include: every single on of his moves that you can hit, besides jab. Ganon is a powerhouse and that is his only redeemable quality, but his moves are so slow that it makes it much harder to hit opponents. You should always look to punish landings or laggy moves with a Flame Choke or Dash Attack, since those are your best options.

The center of Ganon's game is making reads, especially with moves such as Flame Choke. If you notice your opponent using the same tech-ing patterns after a Flame choke, follow them with another Flame Choke. If they tech roll in away from you, punish with a Flame Choke or a Wizard's Kick. If they tech roll behind you, punish with a Flame Choke. If they tech right away and do not roll, you can jab on some and dtilt still works, but it isn't guaranteed. If they don't tech, punish with a dtilt, or if they are using get up attacks everytime, walk away and Flame Choke them again. It's all about guessing and knowing what your opponent will do based on his or her habits while playing. This is all very match-up based, so you should look into threads on match-ups.

Keep in mind that since Ganon is incredibly slow, you need to play defensively. Let your opponent approach you, not the other way around. Don't be too frustrated by losing and don't give up on getting better. Ganondorf, while technically simple, is a very hard-to-play (effectively) character, but he can be very fun once you get the hang of him.

EDIT: Forgot to mention autocancellinng aerials. His U-AIr is great. If you U-Air right after short hopping, you'll land with almost no lag at all. It's helpful when combined with RAR, but situational nonetheless. Also, find a Ganondorf guide in the guides section of this website.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

It's all about reads man. His attacks come out really slow, so you have to know what you're opponent is going to be doing ahead of time. To a beginner, this sounds pretty hard, but once you start picking up on basic patterns, you'll be fine. Make sure to use that side-b to grab them, and if you can predict which way they roll (IF they roll...) then dash again in that direction and try getting them again. Down-B is also great for breaking through projectile spam, and can deal a fair amount of damage when it connects. Also be sure to grab when you can. He doesn't have the best range, but you're not going for anything stylish, you're trying to catch the reads. Bottom line is to play him defensively, but capitalize on enemy mistakes. I'd recommend playing a little bit of Falcon to understand some of his techniques and strategies, and then apply them to Ganon where applicable.

Kaneki164

Smash Cadet
NNID
Thawk164
3DS FC
5127-2247-5437
Thanks guys, I think I have a better idea on how to play as this guy, I think I'll stick with this guy a little longer.

Top Bottom