• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How are you dealing with heavy projectile users?

imnotdannyboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ianjohn
3DS FC
2724-1003-3198
Having a lot of trouble with Toon Link, Robin and Megaman. They can space me out and make it impossible to approach, and obviously they'll never approach me. They avoid using committed attacks so no matter how long I bait I rarely get a chance to put a hit in. Even worse is when they're good with their shield and they can punish me A LOT. Anyone have any good videos or tips?

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Jump short hop Nair's to jab combo/ftilt.Speed can be used but the lower jumps means you will probably be hit or you could run and shield cancel.

imnotdannyboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ianjohn
3DS FC
2724-1003-3198
I've been trying that. The problem is that if they shield they can respond with a grab or jab before I can get my tilt off.

Also, against some characters I'm taking too much damage during the approach. I guess I could get better at dodging projectiles but some characters, such as Megaman, seem to have too many.

Blue Mage

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neoceus
3DS FC
1762-2875-1153
I've been trying that. The problem is that if they shield they can respond with a grab or jab before I can get my tilt off.

Also, against some characters I'm taking too much damage during the approach. I guess I could get better at dodging projectiles but some characters, such as Megaman, seem to have too many.
I haven't been playing Shulk for long, but have you tried grabbing if they block your Nair? I would assume since Nair's lag is so small (and especially with the Speed Art), you'll be able to grab them before they can retaliate.

Also, If I'm getting camped, I usually slap on Jump and vault over the whole stage, then try to hit them with a well spaced Nair/Fair. Might not be the best option, but it's worked for me.

Last edited:

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Power Shield + walking. Empty Jumps. Roll, roll roll your boat. Vision counter, retreating F-airs, Oh...and Back airs of truth and justice.

BTW Shield drop takes less frames then N-airs landing lag. So no they'll beat you to the grab, however with an empty jump you can see if they Bite and then go for your grab.

Last edited:

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
If you space with nair they shouldn't be able to grab unless their like Link.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Honestly I dealt with projectiles in the past by walking > powershielding > walking. Chronopenguin's post is basically all you need to do. If it's something like Link's bomb in the heavy mix, then SH airgrab those things & throw 'em back, Mega Man's Metal Blade style!

Edit:

Nair is a nice move to deal with projectiles, so is Fair but to a less extent having more risk due to it's landing lag.

Character-specific, Toon Link is definitely going to be a LOT of walking > PShielding > walking. Listening to the SFX of his moves may help so that you know exactly when they're shot / released / fired. Boomerang can be avoided & then VIsion proc'd as it comes back to do either the regular or Forward version. Never airdodge the projectiles unless it's for catching them airborne high up, or if you SH & airdodge them at a fair distance away that isn't punishable.

Robin's Arcfire is based on a Mana system so you have to keep track of what types of Fire moves he inputs to know when exactly his Fire Tome SideB will vanish & go on cooldown. So for now because Shulk is outranged by Arcfire that can hit on-shield, it's safer to either Forward Vision past the fire to close distance, given that you're fairly away from Robin to avoid a punish of any kind. The other & more safer option I've done is just to wait right in front of his / her fire. If you have Speed on, you're going to dash through that dying fire like it's the signal to GO! at the starting line. It's a race

Mega Man is interesting because people get scared of Crash Bomber & put up their shield holding it for a long time when you don't need to. Simply know the count-down timer when it explodes once it sticks to you, & put up your shield around the estimated time it will detonate. A ballsy & daring approach option is to rush in to Mega Man with the Crash Bomber on you, & Vision counter having Mega Man nearby to be within the "Zone"'s reach slowing him down, & punishing him for it.

Last edited:
Space SHFF N-air. Use N-air to eat projectiles

Dash vision or EBS (If at 50+%)

Bonk

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
Empty jumps are your best friends against these characters. Grab them as you land and then honestly you can usually get a few good hits in before they try to back off and then you can just repeat the whole thing.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Powershield dash and forward vision and jump monado.Mona do.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Depends on how heavy you mean, but Shield mode is really helping me out.

Walking > bubble shielding > walking more as my approach is great since Shield increases your shield strength so you don't have to worry about it getting poked down to a small size. This is great for projectile users, but it's iffy on heavy users like Mega man & Link / Toon Link, but I get by with it.

Winter W. Winter

Smash Rookie
NNID
VenExio
3DS FC
1650-1446-7034
I personally start with Jump art to get across the stage to a projectile user. Speed would be my second choice to close the gap before they can get many projectiles off. Some people mention Sheild as a good option, but honestly it's going to take longer to get to them and you'll most likely be taking more damage by the time you get there. Plus, they don't exactly need to stand in one spot to attack so it makes you a sitting duck.

Top Bottom