• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Horizontal Momentum Glitch..wut? (now with Video)

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
So I was messing around with my friend (Captain Falcon) and I used grounded spring sometime during the match.

I daired into it, to be able to act normally in the air, but as soon as I daired into it, my friend Falcon Kicked the spring.

I took no damage, and the spring sound effect went off, but instead of the spring propelling me upwards, it propelled me SIDEWAYS. Like, a HUGE distance. Thus, I kinda died.

Being new to Sonic, I just wanted to know, if this was actually a glitch that has been discovered, or has no one heard of this before? X_X

EDIT:

Video included

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Do you have video of this?

I personally don't know of this happening.

:093:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
My friend says he'll upload it tomorrow :3
>:|

My hands are tied. I'll wait to see the proof.

Just some clarification. When you say he Falcon Kicked the Spring, did he actually Kick onto the Spring, like landing on it, or did he Kick through it?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
>:|

My hands are tied. I'll wait to see the proof.

Just some clarification. When you say he Falcon Kicked the Spring, did he actually Kick onto the Spring, like landing on it, or did he Kick through it?

He did a grounded falcon kick.

If you wanna try to find it early, my friend just put it up on the replays section online

You can find it if you look up a regular team smash with a Sonic, on regular Smashville.

It's the one with two captain falcons and a sonic

It happens early on in the match (first...minute or so?)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
He did a grounded falcon kick.

If you wanna try to find it early, my friend just put it up on the replays section online

You can find it if you look up a regular team smash with a Sonic, on regular Smashville.

It's the one with two captain falcons and a sonic

It happens early on in the match (first...minute or so?)
lol, that's quite alright. I'll wait for the upload.

Gregory2590

Smash Journeyman
NNID
phireblast
I was bored enough to search.

I think it's just your dair's momentum combining with Falcon Kick+spring's momentum. It's just physics nonsense, really.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208

For those interested, this is the video :)
... huh...

Well... I don't hear the Spring effect, and if you take it frame by frame, the Dair hits the ground and starts sliding before it even gets close to the Spring. He slides across the ground in the Dair landing animation, so I think this has actually nothing to do with the Spring.

This is perplexing indeed...

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Secret bull**** windbox on Falcon Kick?
This is why people wanna ban customs XDD

I see it now, it seems not to have anything to do with the spring. Falcon kick just hit Sonic's dair, Falcon was hurt a bit, but Sonic was sent spiraling to his doom.

Seems fair.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
But... I still don't know what caused the Dair to act that way though...

Why would a Falcon Kick cause that?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
More interestingly, Sonic took no damage, and as he was still in dair animation, we can assume he wasn't hit.

But he went flying tho. That's so odd xD

This might be useful to figure out the cause of, if anything, to prevent this from possibly happening by chance at a tournament, and causing said Sonic copious amounts of saltyness.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Well, the Dair definitely beat out Falcon Kick because Falcon is the one who took damage and went into hitstun. It didn't trade.

He should've just landed as normal...

I don't know why he would slide like that. It's literally like he just got pushed across the map and off the stage like a sudden and violent windbox appeared out of nowhere.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
My only guess is there's a massive windbox on that custom Falcon Kick, but I've heard nothing about that. I've used it a couple of times, and it seems to be a normal falcon kick, but with multhits...

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
My only guess is there's a massive windbox on that custom Falcon Kick, but I've heard nothing about that. I've used it a couple of times, and it seems to be a normal falcon kick, but with multhits...
Oh, so this is in fact a custom?

But it doesn't have windboxes... ?

x_x

I don't know anything about most customs, let alone Falcon's, so I think maybe you need some Falcon main assistance, lol.

Im Fragbait

Smash Apprentice
something is definitely up with this... it reminded me of something i saw awhile ago, back when the game was on its first patch my friend was playing marth in doubles and he used the side b string. as he used it he was flung off stage almost the same way you were except he wasnt hit by anything. I dont think this has anything to do with the spring or the hit, but something sure is screwed up about this. i wish i still had the footage to show everyone but i lost it in the patch update. hopefully i did it justice.

Also another thing i noticed is that it recognized you touched the ground, since you downair'd out of spring and were still able to spring afterwards.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I'm still stumped by this, so it's a bummer that no one else seems to have anything on it.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
something is definitely up with this... it reminded me of something i saw awhile ago, back when the game was on its first patch my friend was playing marth in doubles and he used the side b string. as he used it he was flung off stage almost the same way you were except he wasnt hit by anything. I dont think this has anything to do with the spring or the hit, but something sure is screwed up about this. i wish i still had the footage to show everyone but i lost it in the patch update. hopefully i did it justice.

Also another thing i noticed is that it recognized you touched the ground, since you downair'd out of spring and were still able to spring afterwards.
was your Marth friend playing in smashville too?

Kathuzada

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kathuzada
I am a Falcon secondary, I have a theory.
Which Falcon Kick custom was this?

I believe that is the Falcon Kick Fury custom, which has multiple hits. Multihit moves typically have different knockbacks on each hit and when you Dair'd him it interrupted his attack with only one of the hitboxes hitting you. Because this move is meant to carry across with multiple hits the knockback is probably high so that it can carry you with the move regardless of how you DI to escape.

There is a Mario thread that has something similar: http://smashboards.com/threads/instant-kill-up-b-glitch.403062/

I am curious about it the damage though, I guess the Falcon Kick Fury has less than a percent damage on the hitbox.

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I am a Falcon secondary, I have a theory.
Which Falcon Kick custom was this?

I believe that is the Falcon Kick Fury custom, which has multiple hits. Multihit moves typically have different knockbacks on each hit and when you Dair'd him it interrupted his attack with only one of the hitboxes hitting you. Because this move is meant to carry across with multiple hits the knockback is probably high so that it can carry you with the move regardless of how you DI to escape.

There is a Mario thread that has something similar: http://smashboards.com/threads/instant-kill-up-b-glitch.403062/

I am curious about it the damage though, I guess the Falcon Kick Fury has less than a percent damage on the hitbox.
Yeah, it was the multhit one xD

So I guess it was Falcon jank after all, haha.

Rewrite

Smash Apprentice
Well, the Dair definitely beat out Falcon Kick because Falcon is the one who took damage and went into hitstun. It didn't trade.

He should've just landed as normal...

I don't know why he would slide like that. It's literally like he just got pushed across the map and off the stage like a sudden and violent windbox appeared out of nowhere.

Perhaps they did trade after all. I know there are some moves that have hit-boxes that deal knock-back, but not damage. For example, this unfortunate incident here:

Also, yes, placing the time stamp at the start of the 0-death combo was completely necessary. :^)

P.S: Thank you very much, MarKO X MarKO X

Last edited:

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC

there's a button that looks like a film roll... that's how.

is that no damage, or is that "0.7%" damage, and therefore wasn't calculated because the damage counter doesn't have decimal points?
additionally, wtf.

Last edited:

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
My guess is that it did fractions of damage. Most multi-hit moves do now.

The weird thing is that with the Mario incident, it's very clear that he got hit. Sonic shows no signs of clanking, trading, etc. He's still completely in the Dair landing animation.

Unless maybe he won the trade and still experienced knockback somehow...? I dunno.

Top Bottom