• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Homura Akemi (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) for Multiversus!

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
T8DqY8j.png

Who is Homura?

Homura is one of the main characters in the anime series, Puella Magi Madoka Magica (known as Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica in Japan). Homura first appears in protagonist Madoka Kaname’s dream, and later transfers into her class. She is a cold and mysterious girl, hardly ever interacting with anyone other than Madoka. Though she keeps her motivations secret, Homura is determined to stop Madoka from becoming a magical girl at all costs. In truth, Homura wished to redo her meeting with Madoka to save her from being killed by the witch Walpurgisnacht, and later, to prevent her from making her contract with Kyubey. She has repeated the same month “approaching 100” times and with each loop, becomes more and more emotionally distant from Madoka while Madoka’s own magical potential increases exponentially. Initially, Homura was a weak willed girl who Madoka saved from being eaten by a witch, but within the series is regarded as one of the strongest magical girls.

Within the Puella Magi series, girls with enough potential can become magical girls in exchange for having a single wish granted by a “messenger of magic,” Kyubey. As magical girls, it is their duty to fight witches spawned from negative emotions. While Homura is a magical girl, Kyubey strangely seems unaware of her wish and her abilities. Atypical for magical girls, Homura primarily fights with stolen weaponry (including guns, rocket launchers, and bombs), as opposed to magically constructed weapons. Homura’s true weapon is her shield, which also doubles as a sand timer. If Homura stops the flow of the sand in her shield, she will freeze time, which is the ability granted to her by her wish. Anything maintaining physical contact with Homura while time is frozen will continue to move if they remain in contact. To disguise the true nature of her abilities, Homura initially only stops time for brief intervals, moves a few paces, and then resumes time to appear as if she’s moving quickly or teleporting.

Why Puella Magi?

Most importantly, Puella Magi has an explicit link to Warner Brothers, as Warner Brothers Pictures owns the distribution rights to the third Puella Magi movie, Rebellion, in Japan. While it's a loose link, it's a link all the same that gives Homura a valid claim to be added as a character in Multiversus. With this established:

Of the many anime series out there (MyAnimeList has over 19,000 series in their directory), the Puella Magi series has managed to attain a large amount of staying power. The original series, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, ranks within the Top 200 anime series on MyAnimeList, sitting at #180 at time of writing. While this is a fan resource, it does provide an image as to how highly regarded the series still is to this day. Furthermore, between its original airing in 2011 and now, the series has received an anime spinoff, three movies, several manga series, and multiple video game adaptations and crossovers with video game series such as Tales of and Phantasy Star Online among other notable media and merchanidising. It was recently announced this year that the main Madoka Magica story would be continued with a fourth anime movie that is currently in development.

Another interesting factoid is that Puella Magi Madoka Magica is one of the more notable anime series on Netflix, and has been since 2014. This means that Madoka Magica is relatively easy to get into, and for an anime representative Homura would be well recognizable. Given the increasing prominence of anime around the world, Warner Brothers would be wise to include some anime representation alongside their other characters.

Why Homura instead of Madoka?

If Puella Magi were to make it into Multiversus, the protagonist Madoka Magica, Madoka, would probably be added first. However, Multiversus has already shown that it's not afraid to simultaneously add multiple characters from the same series if they share importance (see: Finn and Jake). Within the main Madoka Magica series Homura is established as a foil to Madoka, with the third movie Rebellion centering around her over Madoka. Homura is of equal importance to Madoka, and I would claim that she would naturally follow Madoka and be added alongside her. This thread is specifically a Homura thread because she has more to draw on in terms of moveset and also I just think she's cooler.

Homura's Moveset
Homura fights using an entire army’s worth of stolen and homemade weaponry. She’s used rocket launchers, mortars, handguns, machine guns, flashbangs and pipe bombs. While many Warner Bros. characters fight in a similar manner, Homura's unique time-manipulation capabilities and graceful movement would give her a unique spin when using these weapons.

Tell me you don't want this in Multiversus.

The most notable aspect of Homura’s fighting style is her magical ability: the ability to freeze time. While she does use this ability to teleport a la Witch Time and that could be the extent of how it's portrayed in Multiversus, it could be implemented in other ways, such as:
  • Another meter that, when filled, allows her to activate a slow motion effect on all targets.
    • Since overusing magical abilities will cause the user to become a witch the ability could have some risk/reward tied to it instead of making it a meter.
    • Alternatively, the user could be free to use the ability however they wish, but will take heavy amounts of recoil damage from its overuse
    • You could also give her a Grief Seed mechanic where she gets Grief Seeds from scoring KOs and using a Grief Seed will fill her Soul Gem meter which when filled allows her to use her time abilities free of charge. It’d be totally fine. I see nothing wrong with making a character this gimmicky.

Stage Ideas
The locations within Madoka Magica could provide incredibly unique stages, particularly due to Gekidan Inu Curry’s unique style of artistry. Any of the witches labyrinths could make for great stages as they contain some of the most iconic moments in the series. For example:
f4QN2Th.jpg
mIQjyzh.jpg
jac2Mvw3YbTJdFw4axMyKnOyCPaVFDf6uumAmY3oitM.png
While not Witches Labyrinth's, stages taking place in these locations could also be interesting:
YFxz0bz.png
Rebellion_Mitakihara.png
Point is: the Puella Magi series has no shortage of iconic locations to provide the inspiration for stages.

Possible Music
While it's currently unknown how much music will be added for each character, the Puella Magi series has no shortage of music tracks to accompany Homura's inclusion:

From Madoka Magica, Beginnings, Eternal, & Rebellion
From Magia Record

Massive thanks to my friend @Tougon who made the late Smash Ultimate Homura thread. I took large parts of that thread to populate this thread, and without his work this thread wouldn't be nearly as thorough as it is.

Supporters

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Shoutouts to Tougon!! I always loved that Homura thread he made so I'm glad it can find new life here. I'm not the biggest fan of Madoka, but I think Homura is a fantastic character and genuinely would love to see her in a fighting game like this. Sign me up!

osby

Smash Obsessed
This would be crazy if it actually happened.

I support it, Homura had some of the best fighting scenes in the series and I liked her character even if I'm not a fan of how the last movie handled her

D

Deleted member

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH, THE HOMURA THREAD LIVES

Yes, put her in. I need this. She has like, 0 chance, but she's absolutely my most wanted character and if there's a video game with Neo and Homura in it, I don't even know how I'd be able to process that. There's a fourth movie coming out sometime soon unfortunately so if Warner's once again responsible for theatrical distribution, she's totally in. That's how this works, right?

Even if she's still an absolute pipedream, for all 3 people who are desperate to see Homura in a platform fighter, CMC's got us covered.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
There's a fourth movie coming out sometime soon unfortunately so if Warner's once again responsible for theatrical distribution, she's totally in. That's how this works, right?

Even if she's still an absolute pipedream, for all 3 people who are desperate to see Homura in a platform fighter, CMC's got us covered.
You ****in' know it bro.

For real though hope you're doing well! Miss you a lot.

Top Bottom