• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Holding L Character Select Ideas

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
I like the addition of Solo PoPo, Giga Bowser and Wario-Man through holding L when selecting Ice Climbers, Bowser and Wario. So I had a few ideas that make sense to me. Check them out and give some input plus what ideas does everyone else have pertaining to this?

Holding L Character Select ideas.
-------------------------------------------------
Captain Falcon, Zako Red (Cruel Smash)
Kirby, Zako Green (cruel Smash)
Luigi, Metal Luigi
(If possible for both) {Mario, Metal Mario
{Dr. Mario, Zako Yellow (cruel Smash)
Peach, Gold Peach
Zelda, Zako Blue (cruel Smash)
Random, Master Hand With 250-350 HP

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
I'd imagine that most/all of these would be fairly easy to implement. Fighting Alloys are always a common idea, but I've never thought of using the Cruel Smash versions...which would fit in great with Wario Man and Giga Bowser just filling the role of silly OP characters. The metal mario characters could just have a permanent metal effect (metal Peach is already colored gold by default as an easter egg), which may actually be super neat if it gives Luigi and Peach a viable SHFFL. Master Hand would be a bit silly, but what the heck. If there's enough character slots left, we can probably integrate at least a few of these (i.e. one of the suggested sets) into the official build.

I'd love to see the metal mario characters if it does actually give Peach/Luigi a more viable SHFFL speed and basically turns them into a new character, but I haven't tested if it works out that conveniently lol. I'm sure they could tweak the falling speed increase by a bit to let them fall at spacie-ish speeds, or just a bit faster (whatever seems reasonable or feels comfortable).

Last edited:

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't want any of them to forfeit a Character slot though. I am still hoping that Pichu and Young Link will make a long past due return to the smash series via PM. I was hoping that there are some loopholes or glitches PM can find and manipulate. For Master Hand and the Fighting Alloys. Like how in Melee Master Hand is playable through a glitch. I was just hoping the ability to play them in versus is somewhere in that brawl disc.

I would want the Metal versions just for fun and messing around with, nothing serious. Since the regular characters are balanced around their current weights and fall speeds. Besides their metal versions can get comboed more and live to higher percents and on the downside they fall fast so their recoveries would be harder. I just thought those 3 would be fitting in their metal forms since you fight Metal Mario and Metal Luigi regularly in the Smash Universe. Then of course Gold Peach as an extra.
I just figured these 3 would be possible through coding because of the fact that it has to do with an item available in multiplayer. If it doesn't work that way I would be fine with it only being an option in Special Verses coded so that even with the metal/heavy character settings off holding the L trigger will still access the attributes for these 3 characters no matter what setting you have set for your special versus. Maybe this could even help with giving Master Hand HP instead of a percent in special percent battles.

Though you are absolutely right on how fun shffling will likely be with them. Oh and the float cancel shenanigans would be insane with Gold Peach i would assume. I guess if they just gave us the option to play those 3 outside of the typical special matches and with items off would be sick. I think those little kinds of things get new players interested too.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Unlike Melee, Brawl's bosses are not coded as ordinary fighters who can be hacked in that easily. As for the Alloys, they're very buggy when hacked in. It may be possible to stabilize them like they did with Wario-Man, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

I have no idea how feasible Metal may be, but it sounds like something that might be possible maybe. If so, don't forget Giant DK too while you're at it.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
I have no idea how feasible Metal may be, but it sounds like something that might be possible maybe. If so, don't forget Giant DK too while you're at it.
Ooh, Giant DK would be awesome...

On the topic of the random slot, I would definitely like to see playable bosses, particularly Master Hand and/or Tabuu. It's been mentioned that this is plenty harder to do than in Melee, though. Why is that?

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Like I said, the bosses are just coded completely differently. In Melee they're really just like other characters and so you can load them up by changing only a single variable, but this is no longer the case in Brawl as they no longer work that way. They're not coded the way the playable characters are and don't have their own character slots.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Like I said, the bosses are just coded completely differently. In Melee they're really just like other characters and so you can load them up by changing only a single variable, but this is no longer the case in Brawl as they no longer work that way. They're not coded the way the playable characters are and don't have their own character slots.
Oh, I see. I imagined it just meant it was harder to access that portion of code. That makes plenty of sense.

PseudoTypical

Smash Lord
Is it technically possible to edit the Fighting Alloy team so that they are entirely new fighters? That would make fighting them a lot more interesting, though obviously it's not gonna be a priority for the team.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
I remember people talking about using their files for 4 additional characters before the clone engine came out. I have always read and heard that they can be added to the Character Select Screen and won't take up any of the remaining character slots. I heard you need to add a portrait and character icon for them first or something though. Maybe someone can guide more light on this? Also they can't do everything a regular playable character can.

1. They can't use special B moves.
2. They can't use a Final Smash and they will freeze in place until someone hits them if they try to use a Smash Ball.
3. Freezes at victory screen but this has been fixed in the past through codes
4. If you save a replay of them fighting it will freeze the game when you try to load the replay.
5. The narrator calls Yellow Alloy Mario, Green Alloy Kirby, Red Alloy Captain Falcon, and Blue Alloy Zelda.
6. They cannot use items save for some they don't have to pick up like the soccer ball and Starmen.
7. They are unaffected by Super Mushrooms, Poison Mushrooms and the Flower Ailment.
8. They can't grab the ledge like normal characters.

Also yeah I agree maybe they should just add them to the main Character Select Screen if that's the only way to add them as playable. Everyone will understand they are only meant as joke characters.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
I like the idea of having the Alloys as alternate characters if that could work. People are generally against the idea of throwing them on the select due to them not working normally, and they'd just clutter things a bit. I also like the idea of using the cruel brawl versions, as that not only fits with having broken alternate character like Giga and Wario Man, but it makes up for the fact that they can't do what other characters can.

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
Is Cruel Brawl actually loading a different character? I thought it just gave them an attack/defense buff and higher level AI.

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
Is Cruel Brawl actually loading a different character? I thought it just gave them an attack/defense buff and higher level AI.
I don't think it actually loads a different character. I just meant that I'd like their stats to be the same as they are in that mode. I think that's what TC meant too.

Beach

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CallMeBeach
I'm in favor of making ice climbers L change not just sopo but giga sopo.

Last edited:

ThePlacidPlatypus

Smash Ace
Unfortunately they said they can't/won't do that. Mega Charizard X (or Y) is considered an extra character by Game Freak, and they have a bad habit of shutting down fan-made projects.
Also, something like that would probably take up another character slot.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
Sopo isn't intended for a monstrous joke character. Sopo is so Ice Climber mains can get good/practice with the singe Ice Climber. Or as a Pichu-like weaker joke character if Sopos existence can be considered anything pertaining to that department wise.

Top Bottom