• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hitlag and SDI

Revven

FrankerZ
I just wanted to bring this up as a discussion point, since this is something new we have control over for specific moves now. The two go hand in hand IMO.

Our original goal with lowering hitlag was SDI and the overall flow of things. However, I feel at the time, it seemed to be the 'speed' most people were for it, which is why it was so low originally (kupo wanting it to be so low as well as a bunch of others). Don't get me wrong, I like the pace and how fast moves have become on hit, however there is a price to pay for it.

Some times I do feel that SDI on some moves is just impossible in an actual match. For a move like DK's Uair for example, with how fast it is already and the fact that he has Utoss > Uair like in Melee, I feel it's just too hard. Where as a move that's slower, like Wolf Uair or DK Utilt, is much easier to SDI in comparison but, still harder than its Brawl incarnation.

Hitlag also has a lot to do with why some combos seem easy. It may be because they can't SDI the move fast enough which is why a combo with Falcon like Uair > Uair > Uair > Uair carried offstage seems so easy. There's just not enough time to SDI the move on reaction, but, maybe that's just me for that combo? I mean, we haven't heard people being vocal about the hitlag since we changed it to 60%.

Let me get into what the point of this thread was.

Now that we have control over individual move hitlag and SDIability, how would everyone feel if we turned up some move's hitlag so some of these "problem" moves can be SDI'd better on reaction? Or, what if we removed the universal hitlag code (kept electric hitlag) and just homogenized every move starting at .65 or .7 and raised/lowered the hitlag accordingly to see if the move needs to be harder to SDI or easier on reaction? I was also thinking that we could fix moves that have SDI issues like for example Ness Fair, it's too easy to SDI but at the same time, the electric hitlag code makes it harder to SDI on reaction, which is fine. But then you look at a move like Falco's jab, it's obviously way too good on .6 hitlag still and SDI'ing it is the same but you still take about 10% or so and it can infinite against the wall if you're shielding. Fixing its hitlag back up to 100% would fix this problem however, that would require us to do a bit of math to figure out how much we should increase the hitlag value in PSA.

I've never had a LOT of trouble with DI'ing or SDI'ing moves (well except really quick ones ala Falcon Uair) but, polishing hitlag and perhaps some moves SDIability is something to consider. I really just wanted to ask everyone though first what they think of hitlag right now and overall SDI difficulty.

So, thoughts?

Top Bottom