• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

High School eSports

TotallyToasted

Smash Rookie
Hello, all!

At my local high school, I run a Smash club, and we've run several tournaments thus far, set to continue into next year as well.

Something that's been on my mind recently is that undoubtedly eSports will take a bigger role in the school system, possibly with the potential to become a varsity eSport as well.

I get the impression that these new eSports won't be so focused on console gaming and will instead appeal to the major PC games like CS:GO, League of Legends, Dota 2, and Starcraft. The reason I think this is just because these games are more internet or LAN based games and can be played easier between schools and regions, whereas with console gaming and Melee especially, this option isn't as accessible.

Does the Smash series have any potential to take part in this new wave of high school sports?

Last edited:

ROY123

Smash Rookie
High School Esports League is the premier and largest national esports league that provides high school students the chance participate in competitive esports

GrownManJones

Smash Cadet
It's fantastic that you run a club! That is truly the heart of the community and you are already doing a great thing. Just keep that up and have some fun. I promise that's what it's all about.

Don't worry about getting left behind in Esports in favor of newer games or anything else. To be honest Esports is a lot about entertainment and not someone being the best at something. This is why NFL, NBA, NHL, ect are classified as business entertainment which is the same as WWE. What I'm trying to say is that what you have right now is better than what you think you will have with Esports. If it goes somewhere great, but Esports is more of a hype machine than a sport to be honest. Your club would most likely be more of a pure event than a Summit for example.

Last edited:

ThatGuyWhoKnowsNothing

Smash Apprentice
High School Esports League is the premier and largest national esports league that provides high school students the chance participate in competitive esports
Yeup, the high school Esports league (https://www.highschoolesportsleague.com/) is massive, with a twitch partnership and everything, unless they drop it, It's not going anywhere in the school Esports scene, I even made a essay for my local school district to give the kids there a program, because I have infinite time

Top Bottom