• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

High Percent Grab Options

Ben Hicks

Smash Rookie
Guys, I am starting a thread because I cannot find an answer anywhere else, and when I posted in Gen Discussion I got no response.

I am having trouble with what to do with an opponent at 80%+ following a grab. Simple answer is "kill them sooner" in practice that piece of advice is more difficult to execute.

At low percents I have no trouble getting combos from grabs, but at high percentages my grab game and combo game disintegrates.

Any tips are welcome.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
welcome to the world of playing marth! marth is known to have few combo options past mid percents. the best option is to use your grabs and other attacks to position the opponent to set up for an edge guard. its going to be very staggered play, and you will likely only get one hit off at a time, and subsequent hits will come from reads on their movement.

Ben Hicks

Smash Rookie
I gets painful, I have been matching up with my buddy's Lucas and he keeps tethering to counter my edge guard. I have a predictable fsmash on recovery, one of my many bad habits, and he just air dodge to tethers all day. I need to slow down and stop fishing for tippers at high percents, and let the game play out on my terms. I feed into that percent meter, the higher it gets the more rrushed I feel. Those grabs follow up options get limited really fast. I have tried back throw to Wave Smash, but I think I am timing it wrong. I feel like if I WD too fast I roll (is their a throw animation that is longer than the fthrow WD?) instead of WD. IDK throw options at high percents have been keeping me up at night....

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
If you see something doesn't work as well often it is good to do a step back and see how you initated it. Grabs aren't that rewardful on 80%+ (except up-throw kills at even higher percent and combos on spacies with u-throw which still can work) so you might change your neutral game approach and go for grabs less, instead maybe more d-tilt, nair etc. because they set up better for edgeguards.
Grabs can still be worth sth. though.
Up-throw on characters with bad landing (so for example if they have bad aerial horizontal movement like Snake or Lucario) and punish their landing attempts with up-air.
Some random DI trap side-throws can lead into pivot F-smash/D-smash if your opponent isn't prepared. It is not really guaranteed but if there is nothing else worth trying... WD-> anything is also possible but not guaranteed, do sth. that could work and he doesn't expect.
For edgeguarding Lucas, try if you get him offstage because edgehog-types aren't very effective and onstage edgeguarding is... OK... but not more. So maybe Ken combo or repeatedly fairing him off. Otherwise, just try to control center stage and keep at least some positional advantage instead going for an all-in edgeguard.

Ahenobarbus

Smash Cadet
If you can somehow convince your opponent to DI hard left/right, fthrow or dthrow tech chases are great. Tech chase with regrab, tipper fsmash, or whatever else you want

KABO0S

Smash Cadet
I like to tech chase, and get them to the edge then fthrow. Usually a follow up fsmash will kill, or if they DI correctly you can go for downtilts etc. The goal is to get them below the stage slightly so you can do Marth things to finish them off.

Top Bottom