• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hey Guys! New Australian Smasher Here

Stompu

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, as title says I'm a new smasher from Australia - I've played a bit of smash in the past but only getting super into it now. I'm pretty keen to get active on the board!
I know in my area there are a few tournaments that are held monthly or once every few months, but i only really play brawl (which is fine because there are brawl comps).

What I'm wondering is, as someone who has NEVER owned or played Melee extensively, is it worth picking up and trying to get into? I only say because its hell expensive here to get Melee, but if you think you can make the change from Brawl to Melee easily I'll definitely consider doing it.
Cheers

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Well, the crossover from Brawl to Melee definitely isn't an easy one since their feel is pretty different. It's going to take a decent amount of time to get yourself acquainted since there are some differences you'll notice right away - in Melee, you only have one directional airdodge compared to being able to airdodge multiple times in Brawl. You'll have to practice sweet-spotting the ledge in Melee since you won't autosnap the ledge like in Brawl.The speed of the game is also much faster than Brawl for various reasons.

That was a rough comparison of just some of the differences. As long as you put in the time to practice the game, you can get a feel for it. Keep in mind that if you go back to Brawl for a little while after playing the game, you're going to think that it's slower and is more floaty than Melee.

Hope that helped somewhat. I'm just waking up so I'm sure it was pretty rough :laugh:

Oh yeah, welcome to Smashboards :)

Although it's not necessary, I'll show you a random video of each at high-top level play. Just because pretty much :p

*Profanity used in second vid*

Last edited:

Stompu

Smash Apprentice
Thanks a heap! So you definitely think its easily possible to enjoy playing comp Melee after playing comp Brawl? I know Melee is supposed to have like, a heap of complicated techniques like wavedashing and whatnot that isn't in Brawl.
Also I'm going to sound stupid but what game are they playing in the video, Melee?

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Competitive Melee is thought to be more hype and enjoyable than comp Brawl (It's faster, many true combos exist, etc) and that's a reason why the game is still very much alive after all these years compared to how Brawl is on the verge of dying out in the competitive scene.

As for the videos, the first one I showed you is a Brawl match while the second one is Melee. The same characters are being used in both videos, just different games.

Stompu

Smash Apprentice
Oh cool, for some reason the second video didn't load properly for me before so they were both the first video :S all good now though
Yeah that's part of the reason I want to pick up melee, it seems like the consensus is that Melee is THE competitive smash game. Do you think there's much of a chance that smash 4 will become more popular than melee in the long run?
Also cheers for choosing Marth games!

Hokori

Great King of Evil
Yeah, all the hardcore competitive Smash fanatics are into Melee.

And hmm, it may be too early to answer that question. While some are already labeling the game as "Brawl 2.0", some primarily Melee players like Armada and M2K have declared already that Smash 4 will be their focus once the game comes out because they want to be one of the best for that game. It's expected that Smash 4 will take away a good bit of hype that Melee/Project M currently has since Smash 4 will be new and people are interested in seeing how far it can go. If the final version of the game turns out to be enjoyable to watch and play, and Nintendo is starting to get into the competitive scene more by hosting/sponsoring tournaments and stuff, then yes, I do see Smash 4 surpassing Melee in popularity.

Stompu

Smash Apprentice
It'd be pretty rad if that's how it went down, so long as there weren't too many complaints about the game being slower than Melee etc

Hokori

Great King of Evil
There are bound to be complaints.

• We need more hitstun for combos
  • Recoveries are too good
  • We need dashdancing
  • Still too floaty
  • This game is still too defensive and campy, wtf?!
Just making up stuff, but yeah, people will still complain no matter what they get. But as long as you personally enjoy it and have a decent local community that supports it as well, It's all good :)

Last edited:

Stompu

Smash Apprentice
ahh fair enough

Yeah, and if nintendo were more interactive than they have been itd do wonderful things for the community I'm guessing. Is the Nintendo Smash Invitational a sign of things to come do you think?

Hokori

Great King of Evil
I believe so. After that, they went on to sponsor EVO 2014, and then they'll be hosting another tourney (this time for the 3DS) at San Diego Comic Con on the 25th. I expect more involvement in the future.

Top Bottom