• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hey, everyone! Any tips for me?

BERSerker96

Smash Rookie
I want to get into an event that will be large and I don't even know where I would start since I'm new. I think I could place decently, and I want to get into the scene. Also, anyone in California coast area? I'm hosting a tournament at my house. Anyone is welcome, just let me know if you're interested. I want to improve my game as much as possible before tournament time

Shuckle89

Smash Apprentice
Welcome to the board. You mean you are planning on doing tourneys and you don't know where to start?
Okay, well then, I'd suggest this:
1) Figure out which game you want to play. Brawl, melee, project m or n64. For each one you can probably still find people, but that's something you have to decide first (I assume you've already decided, but you should make that clear which game you're going to host). Also decide whether you want to use items/gimmicky stages/free for all or not, It attracts a different kind of crowd. I personally prefer no items and just 1v1 matches and I think it's easier to find people that way, but it's up to you. If you want to use items etc, also do that, to get to know more about that.
2) Figure out the game. Get used to the recovery system, which is very weird at first. (you've also probably done that)
3) Test every character in the game. That way you know how they work (which is useful to figure out which ones you like and by knowing how they work, you also know how to counter them)
4) Pick a character (or a few) you want to main. Since you don't have that much time, I'd suggest that, instead of using every char like me.
5) Look up stuff &and test/play with them thoroughly. Look up good players playing with them and well, pretty much everything. Which combos do they use? What are good playing styles? Which chars are they good against? What chars are they not good against? If you have only one char you can play, how do you still beat the opponent even if it's in your disadvantage?

Play lots of games with them. Testing in trainining mode and bots will do at first. Just get to know your char in it's entirely.
6) Learn advanced techniques. Also learn to use them at the right times.

That's the preparation you can do right away.

7) Get in touch with the players in your neighbourhood. Learn to know them. Play with them and stuff. This is a very important step because you will gain most knowledge from this. Everyone has their own play-style and now you can really see how good you are. It's also good to know the people because if you do a tourney, you'll most likely be very stressed and it might be hard to perform well amongst that many good players. It's nice to know them. So that you can talk to them in between. If you can't find anyone, bring a friend or whatever. Just have someone you can chill with.
8) Beat the sh*t out of everyone at a tourney & keep in mind that it's not about winning but about becoming better and more experienced. It's extremely unlikely you'll end up #3, #2. or #1 but don't let that matter to you. Just go there for the experience. You'll become better anyway.

That's about it. Good luck!

BERSerker96

Smash Rookie
Welcome to the board. You mean you are planning on doing tourneys and you don't know where to start?
1) Figure out which game you want to play. Brawl, melee, project m or n64. For each one you can probably still find people, but that's something you have to decide first (I assume you've already decided, but you should make that clear which game you're going to host). Also decide whether you want to use items/gimmicky stages/free for all or not, It attracts a different kind of crowd. I personally prefer no items and just 1v1 matches and I think it's easier to find people that way, but it's up to you. If you want to use items etc, also do that, to get to know more about that.
2) Figure out the game. Get used to the recovery system, which is very weird at first. (you've also probably done that)
3) Test every character in the game. That way you know how they work (which is useful to figure out which ones you like and by knowing how they work, you also know how to counter them)
4) Pick a character (or a few) you want to main. Since you don't have that much time, I'd suggest that, instead of using every char like me.
5) Look up stuff &and test/play with them thoroughly. Look up good players playing with them and well, pretty much everything. Which combos do they use? What are good playing styles? Which chars are they good against? What chars are they not good against? If you have only one char you can play, how do you still beat the opponent even if it's in your disadvantage?

Play lots of games with them. Testing in trainining mode and bots will do at first. Just get to know your char in it's entirely.

7) Get in touch with the players in your neighbourhood. Learn to know them. Play with them and stuff. This is a very important step because you will gain most knowledge from this. Everyone has their own play-style and now you can really see how good you are. It's also good to know the people because if you do a tourney, you'll most likely be very stressed and it might be hard to perform well amongst that many good players. It's nice to know them. So that you can talk to them in between. If you can't find anyone, bring a friend or whatever. Just have someone you can chill with.
8) Beat the sh*t out of everyone at a tourney & keep in mind that it's not about winning but about becoming better and more experienced. It's extremely unlikely you'll end up #3, #2. or #1 but don't let that matter to you. Just go there for the experience. You'll become better anyway.

That's about it. Good luck!
ember: 259946"]Welcome to the board. You mean you are planning on doing tourneys and you don't know where to start?

That's about it. Good luck![/quote]

Thanks for your help! Unfortunately there's not a lot of local talent and I struggle to find people that can help me progress like I want to. I was hoping maybe people would see this around California and join in! I would be using standard 1v1 Tourney rules with set stages (Battlefield, Final D, Yoshi S, etc), and I need to go against advanced players to really practice my game. I have a good ground game, and I need to work on absolitely mastering my character's trickier attacks. My main is Ness btw. Oh thats another question! What main would you suggest to counter characters with vicious forward attacks like Marth or Fox? Oh and Melee is my game

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
Check this out: http://smashboards.com/events/weekly

Look through the dates and see if you can find a tourney near you. It's the best way of finding tourneys I think. Also make sure to check the tourney thread in order to see which games are going to be there, that way you don't go to something and end up playing something you don't want to.

You could also use this to look for just west coast tourneys if you want: http://smashboards.com/forums/tournament-listings.51/?prefix_id=5

A lot of them are accidentally in the wrong zone, but just search for "CA" of "California" and see what you can get. Good luck!

Shuckle89

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for your help! Unfortunately there's not a lot of local talent and I struggle to find people that can help me progress like I want to. I was hoping maybe people would see this around California and join in! I would be using standard 1v1 Tourney rules with set stages (Battlefield, Final D, Yoshi S, etc), and I need to go against advanced players to really practice my game. I have a good ground game, and I need to work on absolitely mastering my character's trickier attacks. My main is Ness btw. Oh thats another question! What main would you suggest to counter characters with vicious forward attacks like Marth or Fox? Oh and Melee is my game
Well, then I can't help you much, I'm afraid. Sure, I've done melee for 5 years or so, but, I was pretty noob back then and couldn't wave dash etc. My area of expertise is mainly brawl. The things are said are kind of for every game and it's nice that you're already that far, but about ness and melee in general I can't help you really. Just.. try to find people that play those chars so you can practise against them.

But I'm sure someone else can help you ^^

BERSerker96

Smash Rookie
So good new! I was talking about Smash Bros and my brother's friend said he holds monthly tournaments with really skilled players! I dont think they post ranking results, but good experience none the less!

Top Bottom