• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with up-b

Battousai780

Smash Ace
So I know that DDD's up-b is momentum based, but sometimes I was TOUCHING the edge and he didn't grab it. wtf? Help please.

Thanks.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Dedede will never grab the edge when he is in "attack mode". You have to press down on the control stick to cancel the stomp before he'll grab anything. You won't be able to attack or jump after you cancel it, though, so you'll be defenseless once you do it (not that the up-B has exceptional priority anyway). This will also reduce your landing lag if you do it over the stage.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Dedede will never grab the edge when he is in "attack mode". You have to press down on the control stick to cancel the stomp before he'll grab anything. You won't be able to attack or jump after you cancel it, though, so you'll be defenseless once you do it (not that the up-B has exceptional priority anyway). This will also reduce your landing lag if you do it over the stage.
Thanks, I have another question then. What if you wait until you press down after you start coming down as opposed to pressing it on the way up? Does it still work?

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
It works, and has a type of short hop effect, you will only go 2/3rds the normal jump and come down extra fast, pretty risky, but if you space it right it can mess up a guarder.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Thank you guys. :]]

TIME2PWN (lol I made my friend throw down the controller in frustration due to chainrabs yesterday)

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yup, they're all right. DDD's up-B can be cancelled by tilting the control stick down at any moment during the jump, except for some frames in the beginning of the move.

Before cancelling, DDD will never grab the ledge, and if you don't cancel DDD will land on the floor with a stomp.

Some other facts:

- DDD has super armour when rising up. It fades though as soon as DDD reaches maximum height. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
- During descending, DDD's hitbox (around his feet) features as a spike, sending opponents almost straight down.

Top Bottom