• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with this Match-Up

Empty Number

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys -

I main Diddy, and just had a string of 6 matches against a Sonic main. We ended 3-3, but in the three matches he played Sonic, I only took 1, while coming damn close in the other two.

I'm very confused about how to punish this little blue hedgehog as Diddy. Looking in some of the other threads here you mention projectiles. Problem is peanuts are probably the worst projectile in the game - and their only use is gimping, mild zoning, and to put someone in brief hitstun enough to land a grab. Plus so many moves out-prioritize peanuts it's not even funny.

In any case, my usual gameplan revolves around banana mindgames and grabs. With some characters (Sonic and Greninja mainly) I can't play that way because their speed and overall slipperiness leads me to get hard-punished. The Sonic I just played would run at me, roll back, run again, roll back, run again, spot dodge - all within the span of about 2 seconds. Diddy can't move quickly enough to grab him out of that - and when I try his roll takes him so far back and is so quick he usually tags me with an attack during the lag from my whiffed dash-grab.

I realized I couldn't really beat Sonic at his own game, so I sat at one end of FD and waited for spin dashes. I shielded them, but he always landed just out of harms way, or air-dodged my aerials. Monkey flipping into his spin dashes worked for about 2 minutes, but he figured out my game and baited them after that. It's infuriating as I did rather well in all 3 games and almost took the two that I lost. Had him up to about 140% in the last one, while I was at 80%, but he stalled me out the last 30 seconds and took it into Sudden Death - where he won it - as Sonics are built to do. Rage.

Any recommendations? He's so safe and forces me to adapt my Diddy playstyle to something very different and foreign feeling. Hard to grab. Hard to banana. Can't use peanuts.

Thanks.

Top Bottom