• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with sticking C4

Sylvanos

Smash Rookie
I've been trying to find a way to reliably stick Snake's C4 to enemies in the heat of the moment to lead into a grab to punish when they try to shield then blow the C4 to kill. Down throw seems promising at first but they can roll out of it too quickly and it will be put on the ground. I've seen people place C4 on enemies when they are on platforms. This works but is harder to pull off on smaller characters and the people I play with usually play omega stages. Even an extremely difficult C4 stick confirm would be helpful and something I can work towards. Thanks for anything you can say about this. I would greatly appreciate it.

TheLegendarySlate

Smash Rookie
A method that I use that is a true combo if the opponent misses a tech is to shorthop dair the opponent at relatively low percents and right after the fourth kick connects, run up to the opponent. if they miss the tech, do jab 1, and then it will true combo into sticky c4. if you want to attempt the 30% kill confirm at this point then you may opt to try and read their tech option with an upsmash, if the launching hit connects with the opponent, it will combo into the mortar, and then you are free to detonate the c4 which will kill them off the top.

Dr. Edgeworth

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-6422-2780-9325
You wont be getting many c4 sticks and they aren't even very good in this game considering how easily they transfer. But if you do want to get a stick you can do a jab lock like Slate suggested (if they ever miss a tech) or you can go for a down throw read (snake does not have the necessary 9 frame advantage to down throw -> c4 so you will have to hit them with the hard reads)

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
Down-throw vulnerability scales the higher the opponents percent is too. It's more reliable to start tech chasing with sticky around 75% (too early for U-tilt to usually kill) where I believe Snake has +1 frame advantage (going off by memory here... please correct me if I'm wrong).

If they roll, follow their movement and sticky them. If they getup regularly, then sticky. If they getup attack, you can jump to avoid and then sticky when the attack ends. Again this is read dependent, but is a worthwhile punish if you notice they have a regular habit after they miss a tech. Ganon players know what I'm talking about ;)

Remember that Back throw -> detonate sticky is a true combo, but just make sure your sticky doesn't transfer to you or falls off when you b-throw. If you get stuck in a transfer sticky battle, keep this in mind too.

Also regarding the sticky transfer, it cannot transfer nor fall off the opponent until the light stops blinking. I don't think it's been confirmed, but I believe that sticky can fall of more easily if the opponent is at lower percent (based on my experience this seems to be the case).

As soon as it stops blinking, sticky will be able to transfer and the red light blinks again when it transfers. And so on. It's not a bad thing necessarily though if you get into a transfer war. This can offer you some advantage whether your opponent notices or not; at the end of the day you're the one who has a finger on the detonation button, and you should use that to full advantage. If the opponent notices, then they're still going to be wary of that. If they don't... you get a free 20%+ damage at worst if they are not KO'd :p

Finally sticky will blow up by itself after approximately 28 seconds. I always try to make sure I'm the one who blows it up, or if not, then I'll try to bait my opponent to be close to it when I note the timer is close to passing 25 seconds.

Last edited:

HeadofHudet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
5259-5066-0804
Short hop stick when they're stuck in shield on platforms above you. Works every time.

To be honest, I don't mind waiting when I do get the stick. It's a huge mental advantage that they have to think about, and it removes a lot of their options. Even if it sticks back to you, it's no big deal. You still have the same options, AND you can just hit them with any attack at all that transfers the c4 that combos to now.

Top Bottom