• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with Kirby

Glicnak

Smash Apprentice
So ive been playing one of my friends and I just cannot seem to hit his kirby. Kirby is a secondary for him, and i have little to no trouble dealing with his other characters, but for some reason Im having the hardest time with this MU. Even when I feel like Ive reacted perfectly, my attacks will often wiff (even if the actual attack looks like it was hitting), or kirby (at low %) will jump away from the abandon ship explosion even after the dropping clown kart hit him.

I just dont get it. Nothing is hitting him. Does anyone else have anything to say about this MU or is my friend just somehow much better with kirby than he appears to be?

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
Trying to hit Kirby with Abandon ship will not be easy. It's rather dangerous, actually.
THe only time it's guaranteed at low %s is if you get the footstool and up B IMMEDIATELY (you only have a few frames to do it before the tumble animation finishes and they gain invincibility on the ground while getting up.
Kirby's got a bunch of strings out of grabs that can rack up damage quickly on Jr. I found this out the hard way on a FG match with one particularly skilled one. I guess you'll need to practice to see if you can DI out of it like you can out of Sheik's strings.
Watch out for gimps, too. Offstage Kirby is really really dangerous so you'll have to mix up your kart dash and up B, and don't forget to airdodge if he tries to Dair you or else you'll get meteor smashed.
One thing to note is that Kirby's range sucks. Abuse it and the fact that our attacks are disjointed. You want to trade hits rather than let Kirby get away because it's easier for you to kill him than the other way around.
Also, tilt your Fair and Fsmash downwards if he looks like he'll try to crouch under your attacks. I think he can duck underneath instead of spot dodging...

Once I get more practice vs. a good Kirby I'll comment further. and likely update this post.

Top Bottom