• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with Falco SHL campers.

Rep

Smash Apprentice
I main Luigi, and am having trouble dealing with Falco SHL campers. They SHL approach, I roll, they SHL retreat, rinse, and repeat. Any good methods of approaching these creatures?

Randall00

Propitious Plumber
Slippi.gg
RJM#615
I'm not gonna lie, the constant pressure of Falco's SHL is an action that shuts down Luigi's wavedashing game better than anything else. Jumping is a better alternative than rolling since Luigi's aerial maneuverability and jump height is enough to keep you out of the firing zone for awhile and a smooth waveland to jab>grab approach can catch them off guard. In certain instances, Luigi is fast enough to be in the air for just long enough to avoid the first laser, waveland just behind it and jab>grab before the second one even has the chance to come out. But then, this is assuming that you're playing a Mathos clone of some sort who just loves to stand there and do little else. Falco has ways around the bulk of Luigi's approaches (at least the ones that I've tried) but you have a lot of variety to work with in general so keeping it a mixed bag of tricks seems to be the best bet.

Rep

Smash Apprentice
Thanks. I've tried many approaches. Wavedash -> Crouch -> grab / down-b / down-smash. Triangle jumping, Double-jumping to approach, Hopping and wavelanding, waveshielding... But the falco seems to have a way around every one of those tactics... It's annoying. He's very good at retreating with the laser... When I WD or Waveland toward him, he retreats, lasers me in the face, and lasers forward, and grabs.

Melo-tone

Smash Cadet
Well. I found an approach but its really risky and not really that great.
When the game starts use the Down + B to fall off the side then just camp on the edge until the falco decides to try and shine or spike you (most falco's will go for this since it leads to an easy kill). The trick to it is that Down + B you charged up. When they get near you just do a tornado (float or otherwise/ since it's charged you get alot of freedom). Then you can follow up on the hit, or run (but running will just let them SHL again).

The good part about it being charged is if they do spike you if you can somehow recover it then do a rising tornadoe and double jump/triple jump back up. So there are alot of options.

Problems with this are the Falco can just roll back and FSmash you... and such. But as long as the falco is impatient and won't wait your camping out then it's the best way to get in for some combo's.

C 3

Smash Ace
shield a couple lasers and then jump towards falco. If he tried to jump after u, neutral kick and link it to other attacks. Also, shiled dashing helps a bit. If the falco proceeds towards u while SHL'ing and then tries a smash, shield the lasers, roll around his smashn and then cyclone towards him and beat him up from there.

Wolfshade

Smash Rookie
You could always learn the old lvl 9 comp's trick and big shield reflect the lasers.
you really only need to bounce one back to be able to follow up with a WD Dsmash or Usmash or a SNair/Dair/FairFFL
hard part is the many many hours of practicing to time th eshiled to bounce that dang laser...
id did a hadful of hours working on it with a friend and i got it down decently so the usally aren't overwhelmingly hard is they hide behind their lasers.

WeedLuigi

Smash Apprentice
I know this sounds weird but u can duck the laser, run and then duck, run and then duck,lui will slide during the ducking so he still advance somewhat, however running towards an opponent is not the best for lui u could try JCG or crouch cancelled smashes etc.. or u could try running and ducking until u r within minimum wavesmash distance and then wavesheild or wavesmash etc..

mathos

Smash Champion
You could switch characters. . . .

:-p Lasers eat Luigi up. Really you're going to have to be patient as your approach will take a long time to get to Falco. Just mix up your approach, wavedash shield, SH, full jump use them all. But really the key is that once you have them close don't every let them get away.

Luigi Ka-master

Smash Lord
Alright so here's what you do:

...get hit by lasers untill you can pull off 4 perfect b-throw 0% gimps on him. Get it?? It's possible to do since Falco's recovery is garbage.

Other than that though, uhhh ledge camping works sometimes. Annd...you could try to learn how to powershield a few lasers. It really isn't too hard, and usually makes the Falco afraid to keep spamming.

nublet06

Smash Lord
ban FD if you are allowed to. and pick FOD if you are allowed to. 2 huge things that can save you IN TOURNAMENT.

now...against your buddies. learn to wavedash out of your shield. and do the other stuff mentioned. and sex kick is your friend.

Camerican

Smash Apprentice
ok heres my idea , hire a hott chick to distract the falco and then throw him off the level 4 times, and just pray he isnt a homo lol

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
I main Luigi, and am having trouble dealing with Falco SHL campers. They SHL approach, I roll, they SHL retreat, rinse, and repeat. Any good methods of approaching these creatures?
I don't know how to main Luigi, but it sounds like your biggest problem is getting close to Falco (I got the same problem with Link, except I can bumrush the little ******* and take a few lasers and then just onslaught him)

My best suggestion is to WD/Shield like someone said, except see if you can powershield a few of his shots just to mess with him. You SHOULD be able to find a way to weave through his lasers otherwise. But powershielding is something you wana practice a little, for when you have a camping ***** like that.

Top Bottom