• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with Computer.. ASAP please. D=

Shiroi

Smash Apprentice
Ok. Just to start the story.
One day i turned on my comp. and AVG found a trojan so i healed it and went on with life.
But i just noticed that when i was going to choose MSN messenger, it asked what program do you want to run this with. So I'm like WTF? and then i restarted. Then when I tried again, it didnt work still PLUS Mozilla and some other files. So i was stupid and restarted the 3rd time. I then noticed mostly everything didnt work.

Problem:
I deleted a virus and a trojan, but all the shortcuts don't work especially Control Panel and Microsoft Word. I need help ASAP cuz I dont know what to do. I tried scanning with AVG and they came up with nothing.. :urg: Please help out a fellow noob and his messed up computer.
=[

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sounds like your file associations got messed up. It could have been a side-effect of getting rid of the virus.

Try looking here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859

Or anywhere else to set your file associations again. Maybe that'll help.

Oh, btw: Until your computer is acting normally again, don't do any online banking or anything like that on it. You don't know who's listening...

Shiroi

Smash Apprentice
Ok, To make a story clearer.

The SO called files such as Control.exe and rundll32.exe is really messed up.
I search for them, and I see them. They are in their designated place, BUT when i try to open up something like time settings, it says it cannot be found.
Is there some wall blocking my computer to getting into that folder and showing that it is there???
I need help please.
Also, with the shortcuts: When it says Open With, and choose which program, I cant checkmark the box that says "Always use this program for this type of file.
I'm hoping someone can help me out.
and hopefully I dont have to bring my computer to a computer shop.. >.<
The shop's here are somewat sucky.. >.<

Shiroi

Smash Apprentice
Now I see my problem!
Thanks a whole lot man.
All i have to do now is kinda system restore my computer and delete AVG. FOREVER. xD
Major Props to you.
=D

GenesisJLS

Smash Journeyman
Shiroi great job doing the system restore, but I would look for the virus file or it will eventually come back. I could give you a free download (exe) for symantec, my UNI has an enterprise license. Tell me if your interested I'll send you an email.

Top Bottom