• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with Charizard's Flamethrower

Kieson

Smash Rookie
Specifically, I'm trying to figure out how to deal with being edge guarded by Zard just using flamethrower at the edge. I play Falco, but have the same problem with many characters. Either I get stuck in the flames and take ~80% or I have to DI away and repeatedly get stuck trying to Up-B recover. Ledge stalling to wait it out seems to be the only answer so far, but if I mess up it's right back into the flames.

So, is there any advice on how to deal with flamethrower edge guarding?

metroid1117

Smash Master
Charizard's Flamethrower is potent as an edgeguarding tool, so honestly, the best way is to not put yourself in that position - if you mix up between recovering high and early with side+B and up+B, you can make it harder for him to guess when he should Flamethrower. If you're caught in the Flamethrower, one of the best ways out is to SDI down and attempt to sweetspot with up+B as the Charizard tries to stop the Flamethower.

Last edited:

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
When you attempt to sweetspot after SDI'ing out, sometimes the Charizard will not stop the Flamethrower and you might get swamped by it again. If that happens, SDI back out again and keep trying until the attack becomes small enough for you to sweetspot the edge or straight up blast through it. If you constantly SDI out of it quickly you will not eat too much damage.

Be extraordinarily careful when setting up that sweetspot though, cuz if it isn't absolutely perfect Zard can meteor you with Dsmash(assuming he or she turned off Flamethrower with the proper timing). Although if you do that thing where you drift out from the ledge a bit while UpBing and then grab it, Zard Dsmash will whiff, so give that a shot.

___

One other thing, if you're really good at it, you can attempt to SDI back onto the stage. You cannot get past Charizard while he's Flamethrowering, but you can get to the ground in front of him and crouch cancel shine. This maneuver will hit Zard and clank with Flamethrower so you can't necessarily get a follow-up, but hey you ended the edgeguard scenario, so that's cool.

Be careful about Charizard turning off Flamethrower while you're trying this one because if you're still offstage when this happens you may accidentally kill yourself if you're not paying attention.

Last edited:
Top Bottom