• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help With changing animations on touching floor

Flutterbombsexmachine

Smash Cadet
If I want to make a character change animation when they touch a floor what should I do?

So far I've got:
If: Change in ground/air state
-change subaction to [animation 1]
Else:
-Additional requirement: animation end
-Change subaction to [animation 2]
End If

This doesn't seem to work though, they just get stuck in the original animation and it doesn't end. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

mysteryracer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sacredrose
There really isn't any need to program an animation change when PSA already allows you to do so without any programming. I did some investigation and found some landing animation names.

LandingLight
LandingHeavy
LandingFallSpecial
LandingAirN: landing from N-air
LandingAirF: landing from F-air
LandingAirB: landing from B-air
LandingAirHi: landing from U-air
LandingAirLw: landing from D-air
etc.

Anyway, when you search through your subactions, you should, by default, some of these animation names for the character you're trying to edit, in the case that you're using an unedited .pac file. However, the names might be different for certain characters, but any animation name that starts with "Landing", is a landing animation. By default, the animations should be placed where they would normally go, so you can assume that the proper coding for the subaction where the animation is would be there (ex. Finding LandAirN would have the coding for the animation, by default, at that subaction that the animation is on). So all you really have to do is find where the animation that you want to change is, delete the animation, and type in the new animation you want it to be.

For example, if I want to change Bowser's landing animation from his N-Air to his up taunt, I would find where his "LandingAirN" animation is (which is on Subaction 67), delete the name, and type in "AppealHi".

Also, you might have to adjust the timers so that the animation isn't interrupted, and copy over the GFX and SFX coding over to the replaced animation. So yeah, coding should be used sparingly, so you don't exceed the max file size limit for the character's .pac file.

Flutterbombsexmachine

Smash Cadet
There really isn't any need to program an animation change when PSA already allows you to do so without any programming. I did some investigation and found some landing animation names.

LandingLight
LandingHeavy
LandingFallSpecial
LandingAirN: landing from N-air
LandingAirF: landing from F-air
LandingAirB: landing from B-air
LandingAirHi: landing from U-air
LandingAirLw: landing from D-air
etc.

Anyway, when you search through your subactions, you should, by default, some of these animation names for the character you're trying to edit, in the case that you're using an unedited .pac file. However, the names might be different for certain characters, but any animation name that starts with "Landing", is a landing animation. By default, the animations should be placed where they would normally go, so you can assume that the proper coding for the subaction where the animation is would be there (ex. Finding LandAirN would have the coding for the animation, by default, at that subaction that the animation is on). So all you really have to do is find where the animation that you want to change is, delete the animation, and type in the new animation you want it to be.

For example, if I want to change Bowser's landing animation from his N-Air to his up taunt, I would find where his "LandingAirN" animation is (which is on Subaction 67), delete the name, and type in "AppealHi".

Also, you might have to adjust the timers so that the animation isn't interrupted, and copy over the GFX and SFX coding over to the replaced animation. So yeah, coding should be used sparingly, so you don't exceed the max file size limit for the character's .pac file.
That's not the problem. I'm landing from a special animation and the code has to be different. It's ganondorf's neutral special. I want him to attack downwards quickly and couse a slam effect if he hits the ground before the attack animation is over, this would take another animation. If he was still in the air when the attack animation ends I would want him to do an aerial animation and then go back to his idle air pose.

It's basically that I want his neutral special in air to be the same as his down special in air but copying the code across doesn't work because I'm not sure how comparing variables works in PSA.

mysteryracer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sacredrose
That's not the problem. I'm landing from a special animation and the code has to be different. It's ganondorf's neutral special. I want him to attack downwards quickly and couse a slam effect if he hits the ground before the attack animation is over, this would take another animation. If he was still in the air when the attack animation ends I would want him to do an aerial animation and then go back to his idle air pose.

It's basically that I want his neutral special in air to be the same as his down special in air but copying the code across doesn't work because I'm not sure how comparing variables works in PSA.
I see now. Try changing your "-change subaction to" functions to "goto" functions. Make the offset type "pointer" and address to the offset number for wherever the animation you want Ganondorf to change to is located. Do the same thing for changing his Neutral B to his Down Air B. For the slam effect and speedup in his animation, you may have to add some graphic effects or edit his external graphic effects through BrawlBox.

I'm not entirely sure if you can change the subaction inside a subaction. I'm not sure yet, but if I'm correct, then changing subactions can only be done inside the main action tabs and changing subroutines can only be done inside the subaction tabs. Then, inside the subroutines, you can place a "goto" function with the offset number to the appropriate subaction. I know for sure though that the "goto" functions can be used inside subaction tabs.

Hope this helps.

Flutterbombsexmachine

Smash Cadet
I see now. Try changing your "-change subaction to" functions to "goto" functions. Make the offset type "pointer" and address to the offset number for wherever the animation you want Ganondorf to change to is located. Do the same thing for changing his Neutral B to his Down Air B. For the slam effect and speedup in his animation, you may have to add some graphic effects or edit his external graphic effects through BrawlBox.

I'm not entirely sure if you can change the subaction inside a subaction. I'm not sure yet, but if I'm correct, then changing subactions can only be done inside the main action tabs and changing subroutines can only be done inside the subaction tabs. Then, inside the subroutines, you can place a "goto" function with the offset number to the appropriate subaction. I know for sure though that the "goto" functions can be used inside subaction tabs.

Hope this helps.
I'll try this out but It's not exactly that I want to change his attacks to the same as his b-down, I just want it to act the same. It's Like this:

If in air I want him to use air neutral-b, if he hits the ground then I want it to change to reverse air neutral-b (like when using falcon punch/wizard's fist you press the opposite direction to where you're facing and usually Ganon/Cpt Falcon would turn around) if the ground is touched but if the animation ends before the ground is touched it needs to become reverse ground neutral b (i'm not using it for ground neutral b).

Top Bottom