• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with bird

g3cci

Smash Rookie
I don't know what to do about falcos laser spam. it feels like i either get poked with lasers and cant reach, or hes on top of me doing falco things short range. thanks for responses :D
also is therea thread going overmarth matchups?

MH | Joeschmo

20XX Enthusiast
Powershielding is your best option, however simply crouching, countering, or even hitting lasers with your sword are ways to deal with lasers. However, honestly if you are getting camped then you need to start thinking of more movement options, such as using platforms, to weave around them. Taking the hit isn't the end of the world as long as you position yourself in a less vulnerable spot.

g3cci

Smash Rookie
Powershielding is your best option, however simply crouching, countering, or even hitting lasers with your sword are ways to deal with lasers. However, honestly if you are getting camped then you need to start thinking of more movement options, such as using platforms, to weave around them. Taking the hit isn't the end of the world as long as you position yourself in a less vulnerable spot.
So then if using platforms is the best thing to do, is FD less viable then other stages in the matchup?

MH | Joeschmo

20XX Enthusiast
No, it is a good stage on both sides. I'd like to re-iterate that I didn't say that using platforms was the best option. I just used that as an example of using movement to avoid the lasers. Powershielding is probably your best option, which you obviously can't do every time. Just like in this match-up on any stage, you wanna keep yourself in a mid-range with Falco as that is where he is weak. Close enough to stop his laser pressure, and far enough to where you won't get clipping by shine. Honestly, observing his patterns in regard to how he approaches and uses lasers is the key to dealing with it. I named some options you can use and you should try to practice and implement those options into your gameplay. Also here is a compilation by MookieRah you can look at for Falco match-up help and general Marth stuff : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Daf_Dqod1HoMj7L26ITeUM-
xKUKhfxh2vJLWOl2N0C8

Twinkles

Smash Lord
You cannot swat lasers away with sword.

Maybe you mean swinging preemptively to possibly hit Falco before the laser hits if you're close enough?

The other great option is to get hit by a laser and then immediately dashing out. Laser's biggest gain for Falco is stopping you from moving, so keeping mobile even under laser pressure really hurts for Falco. Just learn the timing for it.

MH | Joeschmo

20XX Enthusiast
You cannot swat lasers away with sword.

Maybe you mean swinging preemptively to possibly hit Falco before the laser hits if you're close enough?

The other great option is to get hit by a laser and then immediately dashing out. Laser's biggest gain for Falco is stopping you from moving, so keeping mobile even under laser pressure really hurts for Falco. Just learn the timing for it.
Nah I thought you could, forgot that lasers have different properties than other projectiles. My b.

Last edited:

g3cci

Smash Rookie
is there an effective way to practice power shielding?

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
Can you get to the debug window? You should be able to set Falco to just keep short hoping with lasers.

MurphyPrime

Smash Journeyman
If you are P1, and have Falco P2, then as P1 click R and d-pad right. Should trigger it.

Hunybear

Smash Ace
I don't know what to do about falcos laser spam. it feels like i either get poked with lasers and cant reach, or hes on top of me doing falco things short range. thanks for responses :D
also is therea thread going overmarth matchups?
Dealing with Falco's short hop lasers (SHL) is tricky. Idealy you want to power shield but it's unrealistic to think you'll be able to do this the majority of the time. (but if you can ohhhh boy)
First you need to understand that they shoot lasers to limit your options. Primarily your mobility.

Here are some tips to stay mobile

• Dash after lasers
  • Crouch cancel lasers
  • Waveland on platforms
  • Wavedash out of shield
Dash after lasers:
If you dash after your hit by lasers you'll maintain your mobility than can continue to threaten falco with your movement. At first you'll feel very disoriented and think "this sucks"... but getting hit sucks and this is how you deal with it.

Crouch Cancel Lasers
This really cuts down the hit lag lasers put you in and sometimes if there shooting high SHL you'll duck under them. Reduced lag after being hit with lasers opens up retreats, approaches, and even counter attacks (I don't mean Down-B). CC dash forward or away is amazing in this match up and sometimes you can snuff an approach with a CC-> retreating fair.

Platform movement:

Falco's short hop lasers can't hit you when you are on platforms, but you don't want to be on platforms while he is below you. Making use of good platform movement you can close the gap between you and Falco with minimal threat of taking damage. Remember to do this when there is actually space to close. not when he's right next to you.

Wavedash OOS
I'm not going to say "shielding is bad" but I am saying that a person in there shield is at a disadvantage. That's why you need to learn to get out of shield (OOS) ASAP. Now with that in mind, one of the best things you can do to get out of shield is wave dash OOS. Too many players shield way to much in this match up and then get punished cuz they go stuck in that position. Don't be that player.

Last edited:
Top Bottom