• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with beating snake

Tubs_linkstar

Smash Rookie
well .. i beat most characters i play against with link. usually i can find a way to stop their game with good attacks or good projectiles. but when it comes with snake i have problems shutting down his movement. i might be able to out projectile him for short instances but when it comes down to it claymores mines nades and rockets force to me make an approach. when i get close i know to expect an AAA or ftilt ... sometimes even a bair or just backwards roll dodge. in most cases a point blank boomer can make openings as well as Zair. but im pretty much stuck with only a few options .. basically i end up losing from nade damage and KO moves

how can link effectively fight snake

Warriors

Smash Journeyman
Try to find a secondary main

But if you must use Link,
Get close, sheild from his AAA or ftilt, and grab

Use the kickout grabs and use your boomerang after

(Try Mario. He's-a good)

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
arrow cancels and rangs. use bombs to set off any normal bombs he has.
Catch his nades.
play mindgamez and fake him out when he has nikita out. Make him do something early and counter.

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
it reminds me a lot of the trouble that I am having versus Wolf. He has also has an annoying spam game and he has a few moves that can finish you off very easily. You have to keep yourself at low damage, which is hard to do with Link, and weird, since I can generally survive at very very high percentages, but versus Wolf, and I'd imagine versus Snake as well, they have good enough smash moves to finish you off around 80-100%. The Zair is good, but unless you are really spacing it well, you probably aren't doing nearly enough damage, perhaps use a faster move set, and use as many grabs as possible, so you can outpriortize his ftilt and jab.

AmigoOne

Smash Journeyman
Your projectile game should be able to keep him busy from doing that effectively.

Snake is easy for me. Sure my style with link is apparently different than everyone elses...

Stay where you are. Spam him until he gets close. If you keep doing this he'll generallly blow himself up a few times, like if he throws a grenade, runs past it, but your arrow sends him back right next to the grenade... then dash in. Link has alot of good combos, like until he's high in damage, abuse your upward smash attack. He'll be hit by multiple smashes until he hits the ground. Act fast and because of that one explosion, you'll have gotten at least 100% damage if you do it well. Just be creative. (I'm not joking, this works for me all the time):bee:

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
Snake is easy for me. Sure my style with link is apparently different than everyone elses...

Stay where you are. Spam him until he gets close. If you keep doing this he'll generallly blow himself up a few times, like if he throws a grenade, runs past it, but your arrow sends him back right next to the grenade... then dash in. Link has alot of good combos, like until he's high in damage, abuse your upward smash attack. He'll be hit by multiple smashes until he hits the ground. Act fast and because of that one explosion, you'll have gotten at least 100% damage if you do it well. Just be creative. (I'm not joking, this works for me all the time):bee:
I have tried this myself, and I find that you will get chewed up by the mortar-slide. It's the reason why a range game is so tough for Link against Snake. What are you doing to counter this? The mortar-slide is so fast that even _slightly_ mixing up his behavior will make Snake a challenge.

KoalaBear

Smash Apprentice
watch his jabs and tilts-long hit box ! spam projectiles 120%+ come for kill?

Killress

Smash Ace
He's snake. You let him beat you. If you don't, he'll beat you anyways. (you can always unplug his controller...)

Spudnick

Smash Apprentice
My friend likes playing snake when I go link and I've found a couple useful tactics. The main one I've noticed is that Link has an easy time juggling snake after launching him upwards. Spamming Usmash makes it even harder when Snakes falling. Throwing bombs up at him is annoying too.

LegendofLink

Smash Apprentice
Grenades and rockets are easily dodged/shielded. The 'nades will even bounce off of your arrows and fall short, mabey even in front of Snake. The mortar slide is out prioritized by your projectiles and even if Snake gets close, you out range him in close combat, and nair or zair can give you the breathing room necesary to deal with his ground game. Also try to teather recover as much as possible so you don't give Snake time to set up his nasty edge-guarding traps. Finally the most important thing you can do is to gimp Snake off the edge with fairs and dairs, or even better, grabing him out of his recovery, which guarantees a KO. Most good snakes are masters of mindgames, which means that they are really good at reading you like a book, so you have to be unpredictable to win.

Skler

Smash Master
You don't outrange snake in close combat any more than you outrange Marth in close combat.

Snake's ftilt out of shield (including shield drop) takes 6 frames. You know what Link can do in 6 frames? Almost stop lagging from a move, almost.

All you really do is spam zair and projectiles and hope Snake doesn't powershield it all and **** you.

LegendofLink

Smash Apprentice
Snake's ftilt is his only move that equals your moves in range (unlike Marth, all of his move equal yours in range), and ya, it'll **** you if you screw up your spacing; however, if you use zair or even a SHFFed nair (and maybe even a retreating fair, I have to test that) you can hit his shield and have your shield up/be out of range before you get hit by the ftilt. You can then shield grab if he hits your shield or punish with a fsmash or ftilt if you managed to get out of range (Snake is leaning WAY forward during his ftilt, extending his hitbox into dangerous territory). Fighting Snake with Link is like playing Tic-Tac-Toe: the first person to make a mistake loses if his opponent can capitalize on it.

m0ng00se

Smash Rookie
You don't outrange snake in close combat any more than you outrange Marth in close combat.

Snake's ftilt out of shield (including shield drop) takes 6 frames. You know what Link can do in 6 frames? Almost stop lagging from a move, almost.

All you really do is spam zair and projectiles and hope Snake doesn't powershield it all and **** you.
what's the lag on the ftilt? or is the 6 frames drop shield, attack, stop lagging and ready to ftilt some more?

Top Bottom