• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with Arrow and Jab Cancelling

m0ng00se

Smash Rookie
I don't know if I fully understand the two techniques, or their applications.

Arrow cancelling is shorthop->fastfall->arrow in the air to reduce the startup time?

And jab cancelling is tapping down and back on the second attack of the jab to allow you to true combo into a more powerful move than the third hit of the animation? (Like an F smash or spin or down smash)

Force

Smash Apprentice
to arrow cancel you press B right as you land on the ground, to get 2 arrows off on one jump you have to mash the hell out of your top jump button (i think it's Y) then slide your thumb down to b in one motion so your first arrow cancels in time to get a cancelled arrow after, right as you land. and the way you jablock is you hit them with a pointblank boomerang then rush up to them, then after that you do the first jab(only the first) wait till exactly when it cancels then do the first jab again without ever preceding to the 2nd jab while taking small steps forwards to keep your opponent in a constant stunned bouncing animation. you can occasionally downtilt to get them into a jablock but its mainly on levels with a cavelike roof like luigis mansion.

Swordplay

Smash Lord
he wasn't taking about jab lock he was talking about jab cancel....

on a side note I have worked every AT into my game except this because I can't do jab cancel consistently.

most of the video's like Izaw's show what it is and how you can implement it but lack the how to perform it like the way he did with DAC.

Tips would be appreciated... as moongose said

Silencer~

Smash Cadet
I don't know if I fully understand the two techniques, or their applications.

Arrow cancelling is shorthop->fastfall->arrow in the air to reduce the startup time?

And jab cancelling is tapping down and back on the second attack of the jab to allow you to true combo into a more powerful move than the third hit of the animation? (Like an F smash or spin or down smash)
Arrow canceling is basically what you just mentioned-its just to reduce the landing lag and get off an attack as well

Jab cancelling is basically only letting the first to jabs go which locks the character up for a stronger attack (i.e. up tilt, down tilt, any smash, spin move, etc...)

Swordplay

Smash Lord
Question?

can you only cancel after the second jab?

or

can you cancel after both the first and second jab?

mventre

Smash Apprentice
I also had the same question about jab-cancelling ..to perform, do you press the shield button on the last few frames of the first or second attack? Or do you just let those few moments pass so you don't do the regular AAA combo

Crow!

Smash Lord
Arrow cancelling is more noticeable when you do it with another attack in the same jump - for example, you can short hop bair and input B as the bair finishes.. as long as you input the bair soon enough you should start pulling out your bow just before you land (and when you land you'll immediately fire). You can also full jump pull out a bomb into arrow cancel, or short jump throw a bomb into arrow cancel.

Just doing short jump arrow cancel is not especially useful.

MTD

Smash Apprentice
to jab cancel with link just hit A A then plug in whatever you want pretty much (down smash, spin attack, uptilt, etc..) its pretty simple once you get the timing down.

ES Lite

The Real Slim Shady
Jab cancell is when you press AA and (insert move here). I find it easy when you press A slowly, and not AAFsmash, it should be like A....A....Fsmash. If you do it fast, you're just going to jab three times.

Top Bottom