• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help vs G&W

m0ng00se

Smash Rookie
I've been playing against every character like crazy, finding out how to deal with every single move and combo. I know optimal responses to most movesets that I see a lot of, but I just can't figure out G&W.

There's a tourney coming up in my area and I want to rip it. If I come across one halfway decent game and watch though, I'm totally boned. Half of his moves I can't figure out how to punish.

Here's what I know:
I'm pretty sure a well-timed up tilt beats his Dair. So does Uair and bombs.
For his down smash, if you're facing him, you can sidestep and jab combo. If you're facing the opposite direction and they didn't expect a sidestep, a down smash will probably hit them, maybe a spin.
Fsmash you need to roll or shield, it's easily punished but a good G&W won't just throw it around so you can wail on them. You MIGHT be able to counter with a jab if you're fast.
His standard A's shouldn't even be hitting you, you can just Jab him before he gets that close.
The bacon is meh. Just walk, it's a crap move.

I have NO clue how to deal with the rest of his airs. I'm not even sure about the Dair thing right now, I need someone else to play with me so I can sort it all out.

m0ng00se

Smash Rookie
I don't get to play too much high level smash, so advice for Link's other bad matchups would be great, too, if you have any of that.

I also realized that my answer to practically everything (even outside of this matchup) involves jabbing. Link's jab is excellent, it's fast and you can punish almost any move with it if you don't mind longer fights. I'm open to changing that approach, though.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Link doesn't usually have that much trouble with G&W.

You can spam the crap outta him...and I don't think he can use Oil Panic...

-Ter

Metro Knight

Smash Ace
if he ever uses his FAIR, punish him after he does it, if he lands after he does it, own him. If he tries combing you into his dmash after that throw, be sure to roll away from it. Just avoid hit up and down smash, and you should be alright. Oh, and that turtle is annoying, be careful not to take 20% dmg a hit from it

m0ng00se

Smash Rookie
how do i punish Fair though? Do I block, sidestep, roll? And does UTilt beat Dair? I'm trying to run through all the scenarios in my head so they become automatic, but can't coz i have nobody to help me check.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm a G&W main and Link is one of my secondaries. This matchup is bad, but not as bad as some of Link's other matchup vs top tier guys. However yeah, G&W generally ***** almost the entire cast of characters. Counterpick Toon Link against him lol. Toon Link is liek his only real counter.

You can at least spam stuff at G&W and he won't like it since he can't bucket it. You also have a sword, which is something else he doesn't like dealing with. The key is to not let him get too close to you. If he gets close enough, he will bash right through whatever defense you have because he's amazing at pressuring shields. He's also a combo monster due to the way his Up-B works. And don't try to outprioritize it. It's too hard to punish and has a few invincibility frames.

Don't get hit by the D-smash, if anything. Link has poor recovery distance so the non-sweetspot D-smash will **** his recovery, and the sweetspot will just kill you vertically. Keep in mind that Link is one of few characters that can actually compete with G&W when G&W is above you. You have a good number of huge attacks that outprioritize G&W's D-air, the U-air and U-smash both have more range if I recall. Now if only Link could kill vertically better, but at least G&W is lightweight. *shrug* Now good news is your Smashes oddly enough come out just slightly faster than his, so D-smashing to ward away his D-smash might be a good idea.

I wouldn't bother grabbing G&W unless he completely whiffs a U-smash or F-smash or something stupid, because if you miss it's a free Smash for him, which NOBODY wants to get hit by. He's got like the 3rd strongest U-smash in the game, and his F-smash is also serious business. His D-smash is arguably one of the best in Brawl.

Mystic101

Smash Cadet
well I main toon link and G & W and i have had lots of time playing at top lvl with both but i dont have much experience fighting toon with G & W i would jsut do a mir match but i no sumone who is almost as good as me with toon so ill fight him with my G & W and ill find out

Top Bottom