• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help updating Ubuntu

Ørion

Smash Ace
Hi, I currently have a dell inspiron computer that dual boots windows vista and Ubuntu 7.10. I would like to update my computer to 8.04, but am having trouble. I go to check update, click check as the website instructs. What is supposed to happen is you must install all current updates, than check again and it will say "no new updates" but at the bottom it should say "update to Ubuntu 8.04. My problem is that it will check for updates and say it has downloaded them, but it doesn't actually install them. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
Seems weird, give this a try:

sudo do-release-upgrade -d

Do you have a Live CD?, last resort would be to format and install 8.04 from scratch.

Ørion

Smash Ace
Thanks for your quick response, and i'll try the terminal command. I do not have a live CD of 8.04, but I could make one with the ISO from the ubuntu website, thanks again.

EDIT: I tried the terminal command, but it said that there are no new releases, even though I'm still running 7.10.

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
OK, if the latest updates for 7.10 aren't being installed try this on terminal:

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I found sort of a fix but you it might also screw up your sources (it also needs to be verified as useful):

found here: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/upgrade-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon-to-ubuntu-804-lts-hardy-heron.html

sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
change every word gutsy to hardy (be sure to leave the # in front of cd)
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

If you try this one I recommend backing up that sources.list file, hope it helps

Sensai

Smash Master
Jeah...check your Sources.

I actually had to reformat to upgrade to 8.04...but it was fine, as I didn't have too much on there to begin with.

Top Bottom