• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HELP: U-Tilt Combo? Optimal move for returning Gordos?

FierceFox

Smash Apprentice
1. I've seen many other seasoned D3's using U-Tilt combos. What are some of the common methods of getting opponents into an U-Tilt? What are the common combos to use when you get an opponent stuck in the initial U-Tilt? I don't use this move much and I think I'm missing out...

2. What's the best move to return reflected Gordos? I usually shield, but I think I'm being a fool by doing that. Thoughts?

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
2. Now that it interacts properly in 1.0.4, I like nair for Gordo reflecting. Stays active for a good while and you can continue advancing/retreating during it. If you're staying grounded, utilt or jab.

Last edited:

FierceFox

Smash Apprentice
2. Now that it interacts properly in 1.0.4, I like nair for Gordo reflecting. Stays active for a good while and you can continue advancing/retreating during it. If you're staying grounded, utilt or jab.
Thanks for the quick reply! Anyone else have advice for question 1 or additional info for question 2?

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
1. The best way I can start Utilts is after a fast fall Nair. The weight of the character and the % are key for it to combo. Always try to turn to face your enemy before Utilting him. After the first Utilt, another Utilt is usually the best follow. You can finish the string with a short hop Nair.
Another way to connect Utilts is after a Uthrow on low % heavies. But its not as reliable as a Dthrow to Nair/Fair/Uair.

Reverbo

Smash Rookie
Like others said, fast fall nair is the best way to start u-tilts. Some characters will have a fast enough nair to hit out of your u-tilt though, in which case you can simply block them and grab them when they land to start a grab combo, depending on how they adapt to your u-tilt.

yogo540

Smash Rookie
I never thought to hit back reflected Gordos. That'd be a good skill to have.
It'd be like at the end of a Zelda game where Link has to bat that energy ball back and forth to Ganon.

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
After a UTilt, at low %, you can generally follow up with SH Nair.
FF Nair -> Short Hop Nair -> Jump UAir also works in some situations.

At mid-high%, you'd use UAir after UTilt, not guaranteed to hit on all characters though.
UTilt not being a reliable kill move anymore, I don't find myself using it often.

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
A setup I use if I connect the Nair > Utilt is a pivot Fsmash. Most people will mash out the quickest aerial they have after the utilt to try to interrupt your combo. The pivot fsmash catches them for that. Worst case, they jump out after the utilt and usually you're safe.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
I usually FF Nair into Utilt up air but shop nair is probably more consistent and safer. I just personally love the satisfaction of hearing each bassy thud from the up air. Twirlin spaghetti man

Top Bottom