• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help requested: Smash guide for other fighting game players

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
Greetings Smashboarders,

So this is an idea that has come to me recently. I've been trying to show a couple of guys who are pretty heavy Street Fighter players the ins and outs of Smash. Unfortunately, it hasn't really been going all that well because to my surprise, they are having real issues getting their heads around the Smash specific mechanics. It's stuff that you and I take for granted, and stuff that I never would have thought would be issues. But it's there, and so I was thinking of writing a guide to Smash that is focused towards players of other more traditional fighting games to explain to them the art of Smash.

This guide could be hosted here, and also on Gamefaqs (I have a number of other FAQ's already on Gamefaqs, including a guide to beating all star on hard mode in Smash 4).

These are the types of things I've thought of already that the guide will contain. This is from my personal observations with what the players of more traditional fighting games really struggled with in Smash. A lot of these might be "well duh" things for you and I, so try to think about them objectively in the context of a fighting game player that hasn't touched Smash before.

- Analogue movement controls (walk, run, dash)
- Aerial movement (short hops, fast falls)
- Characters not auto-turning around when swapping positions
- General shield mechanics (shield HP and restoring, shield breaks, shield pokes, lack of chip damage)
- Dodging (of all kinds)
- Teching (teching generally means something different in different fighting games)
- Recovering (this is a BIG one)
- Ledge play (gimps, spikes, get-up options)
- Directional Influence (another BIG one)

And these are just what I can think of off the top of my head from my own personal observations, watching them struggling to get their heads around these concepts, thinking "Hmm, that's interesting, never thought that would be an issue..." but you'll notice that almost all of these concepts are unique to Smash.

This is where I would request some help from the wider community - all of you. I'd like to make this guide as thorough and concise as possible, but I can't do that without your help. So please use this thread to brainstorm ideas that this guide can contain - remembering the purpose of the guide is to help educate traditional, 1v1 fighting game players on the mechanics and concepts of Smash so they can better understand how the game works. I will of course credit everyone who contributes to this effort within the guide.

May I request some help for this?

Last edited:

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I went from Tekken to Smash, but never had trouble switching.
Then again, I did go straight into Adventure mode, but that could have a part in this.

If they really can't wrap their heads around movement, let them think about it like a platformer. Put them into Smash Run, or maybe one of the scrolling stages, and they can just practice it until they can get it.

The fighting mechanics can maybe come next.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
You could also teach them how the attacks work. It might not be immediatly obvious to everyone, but every single type of attack for all characters follows a pattern or two, no character is 100% unique.

Top Bottom