• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help Please! Online Brawling Tactics for Zamus

RedZeshin

Smash Cadet
Hey everybody, what's up? X3 I'm a relatively new ZSS fan, and unfortunately I'm coming to some frustrating conclusions playing as her in online brawl... it doesn't seem like she has any really good smash attacks! XO Usually I'll get online and it'll go down like this.... I'll get started on a combo, and then some Ike player will wander over in the middle of it and use his F smash to launch me and my victim off screen... It takes time to build up percent damages using Zamus, and by the time I can get started on some decent combo's somebody's already waltzed in and smashed me off stage. Or somebody will walk over and take my kill, because their attacks KO easier than mine. And since online brawl is all about KO's and not about last-man standing, I keep losing.... Blehhh LOL

I'm under the impression that for Zamus to deal major damage she has to link attacks, is that correct? On their own her attacks seem pretty weak, but because they're good for juggling and connecting to other moves in general she can string them together to deal moderately decent damage.

Unfortunately in online matches where you fight so many people at once in a crazy field of randomness, it doesn't seem to help that most of her smashes are pretty weak, and that when she is actually combo-ing she's pretty much left open for anybody elses attacks, and that other people have stronger KO smashes. What strategy's do you all use when fighting against multiple people online?? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks very much.

Crimsonjassic

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2466-2049-1304
Zamus is definitely more of a 1v1 character; much more enjoyable in 1v1 imo. Your best bet in online ffa is to just hang back and let the other three players beat themselves up. Then toss in items or suit pieces into the group or jump in with a Forward B. Stalk high-damaged opponents with Forward Bs, Fairs, Bairs, Uairs, or Down B kicks. It's kinda cheap, but Zamus isn't really suited for free for alls.

tldr; camp and spam items and forward Bs!

Eten

Smash Ace
Camp and space yourself at all times with whip/blaster stuff, look for targets of opportunity, when they reach 100%+, especially if they are all fighting, go for the over-B and attempt to KO the guy. Lastly, ZSS performs best by intercepting KOs. Recovering people from above the stage can be intercepted and sent off the top with uairs, above and off to the sides could also be intercepted with fairs and bairs. Down-B kicks are also good.

Spacing and playing it safe with the whip but going for KOs with over-B range and aerial kills is a nice way to play because it gives you more control and can help you avoid the otherwise inevitable "Ike fsmash from behind" when engaged in the melee.

Darth JoBak

Smash Apprentice
take advantage of those that go airborne and own them in the face, down b and side b to hurt groups. I have found that throwing in an excess of dsmashes keeps people hesitant to get into it with you because you might not get the KO but they will get severly punished out of the stun

RedZeshin

Smash Cadet
Whoa what really??? Camping.... and spamming??? Awww man, well, it is a technique I guess... See I enjoy playing her 1v1 as well, it's really fast and furious fighting. But I'd also like to use Zamus in multiplayer matches, and well, camping and spamming seem kinda cheap to me. I've always been an "in your face, fast and furious, fight with honor" sort of player (which is why I like 1v1 fights), so unfortunately I find tactics like camping and spamming reallllly aren't my style.... And personally I get annoyed by KO stealers, and would rather not to become one myself.

Thanks for the insight though, much appreciated. I still really hope there's a way to play ZSS in ffa matches where she doesn't have to be a sidelines camper/spammer, and can run into the fray with the best of them!

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Whoa what really??? Camping.... and spamming??? Awww man, well, it is a technique I guess... See I enjoy playing her 1v1 as well, it's really fast and furious fighting. But I'd also like to use Zamus in multiplayer matches, and well, camping and spamming seem kinda cheap to me. I've always been an "in your face, fast and furious, fight with honor" sort of player (which is why I like 1v1 fights), so unfortunately I find tactics like camping and spamming reallllly aren't my style.... And personally I get annoyed by KO stealers, and would rather not to become one myself.

Thanks for the insight though, much appreciated. I still really hope there's a way to play ZSS in ffa matches where she doesn't have to be a sidelines camper/spammer, and can run into the fray with the best of them!
Samus isnt a camp, in FFA's take advantage of her Dsmash stun the large groups and then Forward B them into a oblivion or use her up tilt, then juggle them with a few flip kicks then Bair them to oblivion, the big crowds always get hit by her forward B because they are too stupid to pay attention to her.

Ørion

Smash Ace
I consider online more for fun because of the lag etc. Also, I agree that zamus isn't as good with free for all matches. About her not having smash attacks, her special-side is practically a smash, I would just use that.

Crimsonjassic

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2466-2049-1304

Heh, well in online ffa nobody knows who anyone is so you'll be the only one thinkin' about honor as far as the other nameless opponents are concerned-- especially those B/Side-B spamming Ikes. Her moves are just too weak to be used in your "style" for ffa.

As much as you wish for her to be good right in the thick of an ffa, she's just no match against several in-fighters like Ike or Bowser or Wario 'specially if there's someone hitting you in the back while you're working on one of them. Her moves just don't pack as much punch as some of the other hard brawlers.

You don't have to just camp and spam. Just fight intelligently. Zamus is supposed to be used with grace from the outside of the main brawl. You NEVER want to be in the middle; always be on the outer left or outer right of the fight. Use other players and the environment against the other players. Nudge them to attack each other or to run into an explosive item and take advantage of them with your long reach. If you grab someone always throw them into the other two players. When I play with Zamus my main goal is to keep the other 3 players fighting each other as much as possible and to stay just out of their reach, but within range of my attacks. If one of them comes after you, take them on 1 on 1, but always try to toss him back into the other two unless he's got high damage, in which case KO him. But when they're all together and you see the group go past 100% damage jump in and hit them with as many Forward Bs as you can! I've KO'd 2 or 3 opponents at once like that several times. >:3

Oh, and don't forget to protect yourself by throwing your suit pieces down at your feet at the start of the match or whenever someone gets close!

tldr; float like a butterfly, sting like a bee; play smart, stay outside, keep the other 3 players together, try not to get hit, throw suit pieces at your feet

Don't play her online.
I win more online ffa matches with Zamus than with any other character. :3 The trick is to play smart against the mob.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Heh, well in online ffa nobody knows who anyone is so you'll be the only one thinkin' about honor as far as the other nameless opponents are concerned-- especially those B/Side-B spamming Ikes. Her moves are just too weak to be used in your "style" for ffa.

As much as you wish for her to be good right in the thick of an ffa, she's just no match against several in-fighters like Ike or Bowser or Wario 'specially if there's someone hitting you in the back while you're working on one of them. Her moves just don't pack as much punch as some of the other hard brawlers.

You don't have to just camp and spam. Just fight intelligently. Zamus is supposed to be used with grace from the outside of the main brawl. You NEVER want to be in the middle; always be on the outer left or outer right of the fight. Use other players and the environment against the other players. Nudge them to attack each other or to run into an explosive item and take advantage of them with your long reach. If you grab someone always throw them into the other two players. When I play with Zamus my main goal is to keep the other 3 players fighting each other as much as possible and to stay just out of their reach, but within range of my attacks. If one of them comes after you, take them on 1 on 1, but always try to toss him back into the other two unless he's got high damage, in which case KO him. But when they're all together and you see the group go past 100% damage jump in and hit them with as many Forward Bs as you can! I've KO'd 2 or 3 opponents at once like that several times. >:3

Oh, and don't forget to protect yourself by throwing your suit pieces down at your feet at the start of the match or whenever someone gets close!

tldr; float like a butterfly, sting like a bee; play smart, stay outside, keep the other 3 players together, try not to get hit, throw suit pieces at your feet

I win more online ffa matches with Zamus than with any other character. :3 The trick is to play smart against the mob.

Beautiful post, well said.

RedZeshin

Smash Cadet
haha now THAT sounds pretty darn cool, that casts ffa zamus in a new light... In my style i'm used to the "bursting into the fray headstrong" approach, but the idea of standing back and intelligently commanding the play field is relatively novel to me in a fighting game. I dunno if it would necessarily help me KO more characters to win online matches since her smashes remain comparatively weak in such a strategy and she appears to be relegated to the corners of the playing field, but it's a new way of thinking that could improve overall aspects of my fighting approach. Definitely something to keep in mind, thanx! X3

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
haha now THAT sounds pretty darn cool, that casts ffa zamus in a new light... In my style i'm used to the "bursting into the fray headstrong" approach, but the idea of standing back and intelligently commanding the play field is relatively novel to me in a fighting game. I dunno if it would necessarily help me KO more characters to win online matches since her smashes remain comparatively weak in such a strategy and she appears to be relegated to the corners of the playing field, but it's a new way of thinking that could improve overall aspects of my fighting approach. Definitely something to keep in mind, thanx! X3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeOmOC-bDfA

Here is a friend FFA match if you are interested

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVFxEbm9RLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEz6WhVN0k0

Crimsonjassic

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2466-2049-1304
Beautiful post, well said.
I agree with DarkShadowRage about that post, it pretty much sums up how to play online with zamus or in a free for all fight.
Haha thanks. Just my observations. :3

Yeah, Zamus is all about playing smart. Well... you could say playing smart is fundamental to everyone, but you gotta play especially smart with Zamus in particular. Because of her lag issues and relatively weak attacks, you have less room for error than most of the other characters and really need to make your attacks count. Take advantage of that speed and mobility to dance around your opponents, pecking away at them until you know you can send 'em flying to their deaths.

You know, I'd sure love to see four Zamuses (Zami??) going at it; that'd be interesting... In an ffa, you pervs. :p

Crimsonjassic

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2466-2049-1304

Ahh hahaha! XD I gotta agree with TheAbnormal's comment "2:27 = GODLY! 'Is that all?'" I don't think that Down B coulda been executed better.

Say DSR, I just noticed you're from TX, too. Mind if I add your Brawl code? I don't have any friends who play with Zamus. I actually don't have any friends nearby who play Brawl at all... so I can only WiFi to get any kind of good exp. :(

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
Ahh hahaha! XD I gotta agree with TheAbnormal's comment "2:27 = GODLY! 'Is that all?'" I don't think that Down B coulda been executed better.

Say DSR, I just noticed you're from TX, too. Mind if I add your Brawl code? I don't have any friends who play with Zamus. I actually don't have any friends nearby who play Brawl at all... so I can only WiFi to get any kind of good exp. :(
Fill free, I have like 40/64 friends now but sure thing XD

Crimsonjassic

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2466-2049-1304
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2vRAiG8v10
Staying in the back and letting them own each other helps :p
Inconspicuously chilling back for a bit to let the others hurt themselves for you is just as good a skill to have as being able to short hop a rar'd Bair, amiright? X3

Fill free, I have like 40/64 friends now but sure thing XD
Lol, gawd dayumn. I guess when you're a good brawler everyone wants to be your friend. :3 Thanks! :)

Garde

Smash Ace
RedZeshin, there's no honor in FFAs.

The people that win are often the ones that sit outside the chaos and kill people who are in the middle of attacking or in the middle of being attacked. You said that you'd be in the middle of a combo and both you and your victim would get f-smashed by Ike. How is that honorable? Staying out of the fray allows you to get attacks off safely while everyone else is occupied.

I don't really have anything to add, as others have said pretty much all there is to say. I just wanted to bring up the point that there is no honor in a Free For All, because everyone is constantly attacking one another whenever the opportunity arises, whether the person is capable of defending him/herself or not.

Top Bottom