• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

help please from any good or decent samus player

J.rudolph

Smash Apprentice
ive been using smaus for a while now and i would try her as my main but i cant seem
to pull off a win with her that easliy. i have also like developed this habit where the only attacks i use is the down smash whenever some one is in my face or behind. it is
also hard to grab someone with her,(well not really sorta, i just use mindgames), but anyway
how do you succesfully get in on someone with her and put a lot of presure on.
i use the double missile thingy from far away to try to keep them down then try to
get but it doesnt work that easily i guess. at sometimes it seems that her moves are to slow or maybe im not doing the right thing at the right time. but yea ive been using for a while now but i still feel like a noob with her.so if any one can help thanx in advance.

Samus247

Smash Journeyman
if you're looking for a character that allows you to be the aggressor, you might wanna change your character (maybe falco?). Samus tilts are really good so if you're attacking shields you may want to use those instead of her Dsmash. watch some vids in the 1v1 section. see how they play and try to emulate them. notice the amount of spacing they have between them and their opponents. and notice that they almost never grab....

Andromon58

Smash Apprentice
A video of you playing would help...but if all you use is dsmash when people are in close, you will have problems. Dsmash is great agaist people who roll, but if your spacing is off you will get punished. Try using ftilt, especially wding into it. Even if you hit their shield, you should be spaced well enough to avoid just about anything.

Don't grab with Samus...too slow. You miss, you get *****. I know it seems tempting, but trust. As well, if you're trying to shield grab, dont. Upb out of your shield.

It sounds to me as if you're trying to rush in and attack, and that's not really a good idea with Samus, unless you have crazy mindgames and spam jab.

With samus, you need to be patient, space yourself well, and play it safe. Only this way will you get in those "free hits" when the other player does something stupid.

If you're looking for a more aggressive character, maybe...captain falcon? But if you want to stay with samus, you probably need to rethink your strategy a little bit.

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
I hate to echo what the others are saying, but they're right.

Samus has a mean range game, but her melee game, though not too terrible in itself, isn't great. What this all means is you need to use your missles to keep the opponent pressured, and then when he comes after you, then you can start your mindgaming and bring out the melee game. Ftilts, like they were saying, are very nice because even if you hit a shield, you should be spaced enough to not get grabbed, and by the time someone comes up to you, you are ready to do something else.

Break the habit of Dsmashing, obviously, it's a good move, but it's easily punishable. Dtilt to upair is a pretty nice thing to do, or you can nair if you would rather do that, it's up to you.

If you want a specific little mindgame thing that you want to use, here's some food for thought: lay a bomb, di towards your opponent, he'll most likely come running for you to grab/hit you, WD backwards into your bomb, which will explode quickly, popping you into the air; from the air, you can do a shffl dair into a nair or bair, which is always a handy little combo to have.

Samus herself is a pretty slow character, so it's up to you to make her fast. If you learn to do it well, you can make her appear a lot faster than she is by mindgaming with wave landings on platforms and what not, especially if you're playing people who don't play that much, it'll confuse the hell out of them.

I hope that helps, not sure if it does or not, but if it doesn't, say so and I'll try to clarify it and make some other points.

Blue_Requiem

Smash Cadet
It sounds like a pretty sound strategy but it could improve a little, I don't have any help to offer but I think that it is fine.

StuperDuperMan

Smash Journeyman
Don't grab with Samus...too slow. You miss, you get *****. I know it seems tempting, but trust. As well, if you're trying to shield grab, dont. Upb out of your shield.
Not true, just learn to do it right. People do shield a lot against samus so if youre smart youll be able to punish heavy shielders.

WD backwards into your bomb, which will explode quickly, popping you into the air; from the air, you can do a shffl dair into a nair or bair, which is always a handy little combo to have.
i guess you should try it out, but just to understand how it works. id recommend not doing a tactic like this, but instead learning to attack properly...its hard to say "this is what you should do" because samus has to be played situationally just like any other character.

I'm pretty sure if youre having trouble attacking, its not your move selection that totally needs fixing, but maybe your movement. The way you use platforms, learning ot move in and out of your shield, and stuff like that would help a lot. Learn to punish THEIR laggy moves, instead of them owning you for yours. the greatest example would be a marth fsmashing your shield, you can WD out and dsmash him, since you love that move so much anyways :laugh: haha same thing for fox usmash, and a lot of other moves. use CC on certain aerials too and then counter with dsmash, since you say you are having trouble with that move.

laozy

Smash Journeyman
if you want to grab with samus, use f-z. also shield poke (jabs) > to tilts or grab while keeping your distance is a good way to start combos.

Top Bottom