• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HELP NEEDED: INSTALLATION THROUGH THUMB DRIVE

Frandango

Smash Rookie
NNID
Frandango
3DS FC
3239-3964-7570
I was hoping if anyone could tell me if it's possible to boot up pm through a thumb drive of 16GB on a hacked wii?

jam3s007

Smash Cadet
Heres my advice, may or or may not work with your scenerio. No ISO building needed.

Get brawl on your USB stick and have PM on your sd card. Either boot the PM launcher from the homebrew channel or have the hackless zip files on your sd card.

For the homebrew method:

Boot up the PM launcher via the homebrew channel. Make sure the launcher works, is updated, and the wifi addon is installed. Exit out and restart your Wii. Boot up USB loader, go to the brawl channel and hit settings. Go to the loader menu. Enable ocorina and enable hook type "AXNextFrame". Hit save and start brawl and it should go right to PM.

Hackless method:

Put the hackless files/folders onto a 2Gb non sdhc card. Pop it into your Wii sd slot and attempt to launch PM from the brawl stage builder. Make sure all stages there are deleted and restart your Wii/brawl and re-enter the stage builder. If this works, update the launcher here and install the wifi addon through the launcher. Now GO TO USB LOADER and do the USB loader steps mentioned above. If this work, great. If not make sure your game cube memory cards are not installed, your 2gb card works and is not sdhc, and that your files are properly placed in the sd card.

Last edited:

Frandango

Smash Rookie
NNID
Frandango
3DS FC
3239-3964-7570
Heres my advice, may or or may not work with your scenerio. No ISO building needed.

Get brawl on your USB stick and have PM on your sd card. Either boot the PM launcher from the homebrew channel or have the hackless zip files on your sd card.

For the homebrew method:

Boot up the PM launcher via the homebrew channel. Make sure the launcher works, is updated, and the wifi addon is installed. Exit out and restart your Wii. Boot up USB loader, go to the brawl channel and hit settings. Go to the loader menu. Enable ocorina and enable hook type "AXNextFrame". Hit save and start brawl and it should go right to PM.

Hackless method:

Put the hackless files/folders onto a 2Gb non sdhc card. Pop it into your Wii sd slot and attempt to launch PM from the brawl stage builder. Make sure all stages there are deleted and restart your Wii/brawl and re-enter the stage builder. If this works, update the launcher here and install the wifi addon through the launcher. Now GO TO USB LOADER and do the USB loader steps mentioned above. If this work, great. If not make sure your game cube memory cards are not installed, your 2gb card works and is not sdhc, and that your files are properly placed in the sd card.
So I extracted the Pm files onto the root of my sd card, and downloaded a brawl iso at first and tried to move it to my thumb drive but couldn't since it was to big. So I went around some other threads and said about using WiiBackupManger to transfer the files to the thumb drive. when everything was set, I booted usb loader gx and didn't recognized my device. Any ideas why?

jam3s007

Smash Cadet
So I extracted the Pm files onto the root of my sd card, and downloaded a brawl iso at first and tried to move it to my thumb drive but couldn't since it was to big. So I went around some other threads and said about using WiiBackupManger to transfer the files to the thumb drive. when everything was set, I booted usb loader gx and didn't recognized my device. Any ideas why?
Try the other USB port, USB loader GX has a default port it uses. If that doesn't work run Pimp My Wii on the homebrew channel to gain access to the USB ports.

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/wii/wii-homebrew-pimp-my-wii-v211.html

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

you cant just use the pm files from usb. unless there's a specific thing in the usbloader that lets you. but im pretty sure thats not possible.

if you cant use SD slot, you need to build a PM iso to put on the usb drive

Frandango

Smash Rookie
NNID
Frandango
3DS FC
3239-3964-7570
you cant just use the pm files from usb. unless there's a specific thing in the usbloader that lets you. but im pretty sure thats not possible.

if you cant use SD slot, you need to build a PM iso to put on the usb drive
is there a thread or video tutorials on how to use the iso builder?

jam3s007

Smash Cadet
Isn't that what my post describes how to do?

is there a thread or video tutorials on how to use the iso builder?
No luck with USB loader GX? Did you format your external drive(or thumb drive) to WBFS and use the WBFS tool? That thing works like magic for me. Here's the link to the formatter and ISO manager(it does both).

https://wbfsmanager.codeplex.com

Last edited:

Frandango

Smash Rookie
NNID
Frandango
3DS FC
3239-3964-7570
Isn't that what my post describes how to do?

No luck with USB loader GX? Did you format your external drive(or thumb drive) to WBFS and use the WBFS tool? That thing works like magic for me. Here's the link to the formatter and ISO manager(it does both).

https://wbfsmanager.codeplex.com
by doing that would the manager also have to do something to my 20xx iso as well? since i'm using the same thumb drive that has 20xx iso in it.

jam3s007

Smash Cadet
I'm not aware of it doing anything besides transferring the file since your computer needs a translator by the fact that it can't read(or transfer) to WBFS by default.

Frandango

Smash Rookie
NNID
Frandango
3DS FC
3239-3964-7570
well after I've done all of that you mentioned my thumb drive isn't being recognized when booting usb loader. and i've tried doing pimp my wii thing but didn't fix anything. not from the link you gave though.

jam3s007

Smash Cadet
You loaded up pimp my Wii through the homebrew channel and followed the fixes/updates? That with WBFS hand In hand should enable USB points for externals and thumb drives. Did you check your USB loader GX settings to make sure both ports are usable? If your thumb drive is formatted and the game is clearly loaded, it should work.

Frandango

Smash Rookie
NNID
Frandango
3DS FC
3239-3964-7570
You loaded up pimp my Wii through the homebrew channel and followed the fixes/updates? That with WBFS hand In hand should enable USB points for externals and thumb drives. Did you check your USB loader GX settings to make sure both ports are usable? If your thumb drive is formatted and the game is clearly loaded, it should work.
Yes I did but it failed to fix anything. Maybe it has to do with the version of pimp my Wii I installed.

Last edited:

jam3s007

Smash Cadet
Yes I did but it failed to fix anything. Maybe it has to do with the version of pimp my Wii I installed.
You can update pimp my Wii from the menu after you launch it. If it's giving you an error on the USB hack fix, it would help if you said what it is.

Last edited:

Frandango

Smash Rookie
NNID
Frandango
3DS FC
3239-3964-7570
You can update pimp my Wii from the menu after you launch it. If it's giving you an error on the USB hack fix, it would help if you said what it is.
It's saying that there's no useful IOS. And every time it does a network initialization it gives me an error. Read sd:/ IOS36 -64-v3608.wad.out.wad failedcannot load title (IOS36-64-v3608.wad) from usb, ad or internet. And the downgrade fails.

jam3s007

Smash Cadet
Have you tried googling that error? I remember having to downgrade 36 at one point. An error like that usually points to why you're having issues with your soft mod.

Frandango

Smash Rookie
NNID
Frandango
3DS FC
3239-3964-7570
well it's detecting my usb now when i boot up the loader but brawl isn't showing up. but it's showing up on cfg usb loader mod, and put the ocarina cheats on and it's not reading the pm files.

Frandango

Smash Rookie
NNID
Frandango
3DS FC
3239-3964-7570
well it's detecting my usb now when i boot up the loader but brawl isn't showing up. but it's showing up on cfg usb loader mod, and put the ocarina cheats on and it's not reading the pm files.
It's not recognizing my sd card when the game is booted. is it because it's a sdhc card?

Frandango

Smash Rookie
NNID
Frandango
3DS FC
3239-3964-7570
then how come it's not accessing the pm files? Do i have to delete the save data on the wii?

Top Bottom