• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help my friend's Ganondorf please

ss118

Smash Master
So I'm no ganondorf main, but I've been doing my best trying to teach my friend the character over the last period of about maybe 6 months. Well, not being a Ganon main myself, I can only help him so much. Rather, I'm hoping to enlist the aid of the actual ganon mains.

Link to all of his videos.

Any advice you could give would be much appreciated! =D

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I watched the first video vs Falcon. Immediately I can confidently say that he needs to be more confident in his ground game. The applications of Ganon's Jab, tilts, and jump canceled grab basically. Also when he has time, he should practice WDing out of shield. Ganon doesn't particularly rely on WDs, but he still should keep the option open in case rolling isn't the best option.

Also F-airing sometimes is too slow, and instead, SHFFLed U-air is a safer option. Especially in a matchup like vs Falcon where gimping takes priority over scoring the KO, Ganon's goal is simply to find that one opportunity to land a hit that puts Falcon offstage, and U-air has plenty of knockback. SHFFLed U-air only has like slightly less range than F-air keep in mind.

2nd video against Falcon, I remember him suiciding due to trying to ledgehop F-air. Ledgehop U-air actually can land on stage and isn't particularly hard to do (if he can ledgehop waveland, ledgehop U-airing is easier).

Vs Fox, basically he needs to know how to fight Falcon before he can consider fighting a Fox. Aerials aren't always the best options in those matchups, especially against Fox, who has too good of a rushdown and punish game to make the risk of jumping worthwhile in many situations.

Vs Falco similarly will be difficult, but if you can learn to powershield lasers effectively, the matchup becomes a fair bit more manageable. Besides that vs Falco is simply about making the best punishes possible when the opportunity comes.

vs Marth, I really think the most obvious problem he had in those matches was bad DI (DIing towards Marth is almost always a bad idea when he grabs you or juggles you). Aside from that, I'd suggest playing safer, baiting more carefully, and learning edgeteching. Ganon does fairly decent against Marth, just he needs to understand that there is a way to space aerials with relatively low risk in that matchup. B-airs are generally really good against Marth. Also when edgeguarding Marth, usually an invincible edgestall helps a lot. Invincible edgestall -> ledgehop U-air generally should cover most of Marth's options offstage, and tipman U-air or the lightshield edgehog is also effective.

ss118

Smash Master
I got him to look at this and he said it helped a lot. I couldn't [completely] beat him by going pure aggro at least, so props to that.

I also put up some matches of him vs SHeik and Doc. He especially needs some help vs the ******, so anything there is appreciated.

Top Bottom