• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help me with ivysaur's recovery!

Narowa

Smash Rookie
I have a HUGE problem with my Ivysaur: It simply cant recover anymore.
When I play with my brother (Ike), when I use Ivysaur, He throws me off the stage and simply edgehog and I can't go back at all, because my Ivysaur's recovery fails completely if someone edgehogs while im trying to go back.

Please someone help me to recover and not to die with 50%. Trying the 3rd jump before going down the edge doesn't work, so what do I do?

Im really confused with this, please someone help me :dizzy:

Thanks a lot in advance:chuckle:

Onxy

Smash Lord
Get better at NOT being thrown off. Ivy is very defensive, and I'm sure she can own Ike with ease. When you do get thrown off, try to Razor Leaf him off, or quickly latch on with the tether before he gets a chance. Good DI also helps.

Chalupa3266

Smash Apprentice
What Onxy said pretty much. What I tend to do is to razor leaf the opponent when they grab the edge then quickly UP+B. Or if I wasnt thrown far, I will quickly tether. Sometimes I will do a Fair then quickly tether. I have tested Ivysaurs tether and it is insanely long, I would say even longer than olimars recover definitely.

Next time he knocks you off, razor leaf or fair or quickly tether, depending how far he knocked you, oh and with your DI, he should be knocking you up, not horizontal.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
Look at Card's guide and go to the Ivysaur section. You see the picture with the red circle? That's how much reach Ivysaur's Vine Whip has. Use that to your advantage. Sometimes people will get arrogant and go back up after they think you're done for. That's when you latch on. ^^

Demenise

Smash Journeyman
Stay more towards the center of the field, too; if fighting near the edge, you'll die more. It's a small sacrafice of percent needed to kill in exchange for less risk.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
If he edgehogs you and you are too low to do a fair or razor leaf, try to perform the vine whip horizontally, like if you were trying to hang on the dege if the attack wouldnt direct itself, that way, if your opnent is not on his invicibility frames, you will stage spike him and both will die..... cool XD
Hey yukiwarashi.... nice sig!!!!

bowz

Smash Journeyman
I think Razor Leafing backwards, into a Bair, into a Vine Whip is an extremly underrated tactic.

Tangy

Smash Apprentice
Ivysaur's recovery is almost twice as long as Olimars...If you're about that much distance from the ledge, just use up-b if your opponent isn't hanging on it yet.
I'm not a PT user, so I'm not sure if these ideas are actually practical. If your opponent is already hanging on the ledge, simply attack. Based on 5 minute research, razor leaf or any aerial attack can help you recover (other than u-air). Aerial attacks will cause you to go as low as the bottom of FD, but Ivysaur's recovery length is long enough to grab the ledge.

Stroupes

Smash Lord
If all else fails, if you sweetspot, you'll whip him off the edge, possibly to the death if his damage is high enough.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
I have better results getting Ivysaur to tether farther from the stage horizontally, and about equal vertically. Horizontally is more important, in my opinion, since you can get on the ledge without waiting and giving your opponent a chance to edge-hog.

Top Bottom