• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help me step up my game.

protomanfan25

Smash Rookie
Howdy everyone.

So I'm going to my second tournament ever tomorrow, and I have a feeling that I've actually decayed as a player since then, instead of improved. So I'm wondering if I could get some criticism form people who know my character the best.

http://youtu.be/L8rjwVwmMvs

Here's the grand finals of that tournament. I (Proto) got there basicly only playing D3 (I play falcon once in this set, but that was it for the whole tournament).

What tips can you give me? There a few I've already gotten and tried to sort out from r/crazyhand, and the general improvement thread:

- Shouldn't have called the other player a john (that I figured out myself. I tend to always give out GLHFs, GGs, and WPs, so I was very frustrated that this guy wasent giving me the same respect, and was acting as if me winning was bull****. I lost control. It s a mistake I won't make again.

-tournament jitters ( the cause of a lot of my problems. The spamming f smash, the constant rolling away. On the other hand, I didn't feel like I had the jitters, that's what everyone had told me I had.)

-Land at a distance (despite how satisfying it is to land a hit coming down, mine were getting very predictable. Still working on this. I get very greedy.)

What have you guys noticed that I or other haven't? Thanks for bothering to read.

KnightofPizza

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LergiOfficial
Well, early game in neutral, you looked as though you really wanted to land that fastfall Nair, and while that move is very good for low% combos, you generally don't want to use it too much, or it becomes predictable. You also seem to be rolling a lot if you miss an attack, which is a bad habit. You also seem to be using Gordos when coming down quite often, and while that can be a good move, just as fastfall Nair, it becomes predictable. There were a lot of Gordos in general flying around, and you should maybe try to cut down on their usage to be less predictable. Your edgeguarding was mostly jumping off and using Fairs, which have a lot of endlag, so usually it's best to turn around and go for mostly Bairs or Gordos, or the occasional spike if they're coming in low. That's all I got, I can't really go into the technical stuff and what you're doing wrong exactly, but I hope this helps even a little bit.

Last edited:

imsoul

Smash Cadet
NNID
thesouldemon
3DS FC
3411-3945-3633
Sorry, unrelated to your question, but which tourney tomorrow? I'm also going to a tourney tomorrow, and I saw you also live in Illinois

protomanfan25

Smash Rookie
Sorry, unrelated to your question, but which tourney tomorrow? I'm also going to a tourney tomorrow, and I saw you also live in Illinois
I'm headed to Ash weeklies Smash 4 down at WIT gaming for the first time tomorrow.

Atrabilious

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Atrabilious
I have to agree with KnightofPizza on the fastfall nair use, you were over-using it to your own detriment unfortunately. FF nair is a useful tool but you can't be greedy with it because it's easily punished, multiple times in the matches against Gevlin's Ness you got shield-grabbed over and over again while attempting to land it. Gavlin wracked up a ton of damage on you just from punishing FF nair, I'd recommend you mix up with different approach options to keep your opponent guessing. Every time you jumped at him towards the end of your match he was shielding in anticipation of the nair, you basically had him trained at point. For example you could've started using empty short hop > grab to approach and then started working him over for easy damage.

Also I never really saw you convert the nair into anything on the few occasions you did land it. For example at 13:10 in the video you land the FF nair but instantly roll out and reset to neutral instead of trying to get a string going. At that low a percent you could have potentially gone for a double uptilt or gone up-tilt > u-air, thrown an f-tilt in his direction to potentially send him into an edge guard situation or even just shielded to see how he responded, potentially catch him with a shield-grab if he tried to aerial his way out. Were a couple of occasions you landed the nair against Pikachu at high percent but didn't go for a u-air or anything, just rolled away.

Obviously you're already aware of the rolling issue, so I won't bother with that too much but you really need to use your shield more. There were a lot of times after Gevlin switched to Ness where he would just chase down your roll with a dash attack because you would always slide backwards to reposition, whereas if you had shielded instead you could've converted into a shield grab.

Consider using your jab more. It's a good CQC option and can be converted into a grab or d-smash. Although it's not guaranteed, it's a worth while mix-up to use. Jab 1 > jab 2 > grab/d-smash. Jab > jab > shield/nair if they adapt to it and try to aerial/jump their way out.

Hopefully that's helpful to you.

Top Bottom