• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help me, please.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hmmm.... now that's curious. 4 Gig's and a quad core CPU, ****. That's really freaking beefy for a laptop. Must have cost a ton.

Anyway, the Mobo might not be able to recognize all the RAM. Dell has really good customer support. Just call them up and say that your computer isn't recognizing all of your RAM. It certainly should be, it's brand new.

manacloud1

Smash Champion
most motherboards say 4 gigs , but actually only use up 3 gigs like the computer you bought. It is 4 gigs because one of the gigs of ram is used for speed. You can fix it by going into ur bios and reconfiguring it so that your system memory reads just for system memory however i wouldnt do it. Letting ur computer have a gig for speed and security is worth it because ull have the safety of it not crashing. If you wanted more memory u should have gotten a mac anyways, they have up to 8 gigs of ram.

omfgomfg

Smash Lord
Your eyes happened to drift to my location, I see.
Hmmm.... now that's curious. 4 Gig's and a quad core CPU, ****. That's really freaking beefy for a laptop. Must have cost a ton.

Anyway, the Mobo might not be able to recognize all the RAM. Dell has really good customer support. Just call them up and say that your computer isn't recognizing all of your RAM. It certainly should be, it's brand new.
now what made you think that i bought a laptop :)
(i did not)

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
He must have thought it was a laptop because of the Dell Inspiron thing.

As far as I know a 32 bit version of Windows cannot use more than 3-3.5 gigs of ram, the awful thing to tell you is that you need Windows XP x64 (highly unstable btw) or Vista x64 to use the 4 GB.

It's either that or Linux.

Goldberg

Smash Apprentice
I... I feel uncomfortable seeing what I posted in huge format, is it a good or a bad thing?, was your problem solved?

DOWSER

Smash Rookie
I've seen this happen before. On my older pc, I had 256mb installed and the computer only recognized 212mb. weird. I figured it was just a windows thing.

rossen

Smash Rookie
The most common cause is because your pc's integrated video uses 16Mb, 32Mb, 64Mb or more of your RAM, and the amount used by your video is substracted from the 256Mb.

For instance, if your video uses 16Mb, then your memory count will show 240Mb, if it uses 32Mb it will show 224, and so on.

This is not really a problem. Check the BIOS configuration for the video settings. Then you can check how much memory is being reserved for your integrated video card.

If you want to increase the performance o your pc, you can install an agp video card (or PCI), and it will release the used memory, and the bus usage.

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure it's the part you made in big letters...which I think you did to let us know you're mad?

But jeah, 32 bit Windows OS's can't use more then 3 gigs of RAM.

Top Bottom